Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 95 Arc

New Saab Owner

I just purchased a 2004 95 Arc Sedan. So far I am loving the car and am quickly becoming a Saab fan. Such a fun car to drive.

I have a few questions. I purchased the vehicle for $3300. It has 124,000 miles and all service records were kept. It is in very good condition. No issues that Im aware of. Do you think I got a good deal (not that it really matters now)

What advice would you give me as a new Saab owner? Thank you!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Saaab95 View Post
    I just purchased a 2004 95 Arc Sedan. So far I am loving the car and am quickly becoming a Saab fan. Such a fun car to drive.

I have a few questions. I purchased the vehicle for $3300. It has 124,000 miles and all service records were kept. It is in very good condition. No issues that Im aware of. Do you think I got a good deal (not that it really matters now)

What advice would you give me as a new Saab owner? Thank you!
    Advice to a new owner, go to the first sticky thread in the Tech Talk section and get yourself a copy of the WIS " workshop manual" and the EPC "parts book". Whether you self maintain or not, knowing what you can and can't do yourself will save you a small fortune.

As for deals, a good deal is always a good deal, a bad deal is always a bad deal and $$$ can make bad deals look good and good deals look bad. You got a 124K mile car, if it looks good, runs good, rides good today and it doesn't take a grand out of your pocket in the next couple of months to fix some odd little problem you don't see today, you did better than good, you got a great deal.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Saab.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    2004 and up is a good year for any Saab 9-5. You have the 2.3T engine with the reliable TD04 turbo which is a great engine. Make sure to use premium fuel for best performance. The price seems right for this year and mileage and it is a good deal if it is in very good condition with all service records. Besides the WIS an EPC, there is also a lot of information in the forums here. If you can do service and some repairs yourself, it will also be a car that won't empty your bank account quickly.

Welcome!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 95 Arc
    Quote Originally Posted by nordwulf View Post
    2004 and up is a good year for any Saab 9-5. You have the 2.3T engine with the reliable TD04 turbo which is a great engine. Make sure to use premium fuel for best performance. The price seems right for this year and mileage and it is a good deal if it is in very good condition with all service records. Besides the WIS an EPC, there is also a lot of information in the forums here. If you can do service and some repairs yourself, it will also be a car that won't empty your bank account quickly.

Welcome!
    Thanks guys! Just downloaded the WIS and EPC. Looks like great information.

The guy I bought it from also mentioned he used premium fuel. Is this a must with this kind of engine/turbo? I've been putting in 87 Octane with 10% ethanol.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    87 Octane will or can decrease engine power, increase fuel consumption and cause engine pinging. These engines were designed for 91/93 Octane and that's what I always put in mine. The more expensive premium fuel is a few bucks more per tank but it's a very small difference when added to the total cost of owning a vehicle.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    The owner's manual recommends 90 octane (the way the US and Canada measures octane). If one wants to save money, one can mix premium and regular. For example, half 87 and half 93. The EPA tested the 2005 9-3 and found that premium gets 1 mpg better gas mileage so the added cost of premium is partly recovered by better gas mileage. A few years ago, I tested a mixture equivalent to about 90 versus 93 and calculated that it got about half mpg better with 93. I was fairly confident of the results but there was some overlap.