Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 saab 93 2.0t

limp mode

my 2004 saab 93 is in limp mode. i cleaned the MAF, throttle body and have done a tune up. what can i do to fix the problem?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by drewrobson View Post
    my 2004 saab 93 is in limp mode. i cleaned the MAF, throttle body and have done a tune up. what can i do to fix the problem?
    Time to read codes and find out what the problem is. There is no limp home mechanical reset on the 2004, pulling the Neg. battery cable will reset everything and if you fixed with cleaning you would be good. If you didn't, you could end up walking home the next time and it you would be good to know what the problem is, or was, before you do the electronic reset. Most auto parts stores will read codes free of charge as they expect you will buy the part needed from them.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 saab 93 2.0t
    Ive checked the coded and they were for a cps, coil pack, and spark plugs. I replaced all of those and disconnected my negative battery terminal and the issue is still there. I have an extreme loss of power.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Ive checked the coded and they were for a cps, coil pack, and spark plugs. I replaced all of those and disconnected my negative battery terminal and the issue is still there. I have an extreme loss of power.
    The issue is still there as in you still have those codes? Or those codes cleared, have not returned or are not pending and you still have no power?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 saab 93 2.0t
    I clear the codes and they keep coming back. Disconnection the battery doesnt help with the limp mode

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Does your car have genuine Saab coil packs?
    What are your spark plugs? and the gap you set?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 saab 93 2.0t
    They arent genuine saab coil packs. I dont remeber the,gap of the sparkplugs. They are new though.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    They arent genuine saab coil packs. I dont remeber the,gap of the sparkplugs. They are new though.
    If you got "economy" coils, toss them out and start over. Get a set of Saab from a salvage yard if you can't afford new.

On this car the coils do more than power the plugs, they are part of the timing and knock sensor circuit. The internet is full of cheap no name coil packs that fit the hole and fire the plugs, but you don't get the same OE quality control in manufacturing and that means they may not work today, or still work a week from today. The spark plugs are also part of the timing and knock sensor circuit and the ION module monitors the electrical use of the coil from ramp to fire and reports what it sees to the engine controller. Not only do your plugs need to be the right type, the plug gap needs to be the same on all plugs and you check this with a feeler gage. Your plug gapping tool may have a size indicator that gets you close enough to run, but that doesn't mean it's right.

The engine controller uses the signals it receives from the CPS and feed back from the ION module to set timing, when it doesn't get the feed beck it expects, the ECM detunes / limits torque, to protect the engine "limp home" and sets codes.

Basically, if you want to get this thing running like it should you need Saab coils. Not that there aren't aftermarket OE quality compatible coils that don't cost like Saab, but with no name on the casing, you don't know if you got them until you have them in the car.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 saab 93 2.0t
    I regapped the spark plugs to .90 mm and the coil packs all look good except one. The inner spring doesnt,have the metal casing around it. Could thos cause a misfire?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    I regapped the spark plugs to .90 mm and the coil packs all look good except one. The inner spring doesnt,have the metal casing around it. Could thos cause a misfire?
    The coils and spark plugs are part of the timing and knock sensor circuit and the missing metal casing might not stop the plug from sparking, but it could sure screw up the signal the ION module reports to the engine controller.