Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD

Key fob problems

For my 2008 9-3 2.0T I recently have had problems with 2 remotes. I was not able to unlock the 9-3 by pressing the unlock button on the the key remote and the manual key would unlock the driver's door lock without setting off the alarm. The remote would also start the 9-3 without problems and no codes were generated. The other remote door lock buttons also failed to function. So, I opened the fob to look at the remote computer board and out fell the metal piece off the board directly under the unlock button on the fob with everything else still in place on the board. Possibly this piece could be soldered back on, but since I have extra fobs, fob shells, fob boards, and manual keys I decided to have an extra fob programed to make a set of 3 good keys for the 2008 9-3. Note, this combination of problems suggests a problem with the remote computer board as is described.

So, I have the key I am using daily and 2 non-programmed key fobs. A second already programmed key was not immediately available and was not reprogrammed. After having the 3 programmed, two work fine and the third remote will start the 9-3 but not unlock the doors but initiated a low key fob battery warning with a new unused and perfectly good battery. The battery works fine in one of the other remotes. The first fob did not generate a low battery warning but this now partially working second fob does generate the low key fob battery warning. Open this fob and nothing falls out but I can see the fob computer board prong which touches the fob battery is bent. On trying to straighten the prong back to its original position the prong breaks. I now have 3 good remotes with only 2 programed. Note, this combination suggests a problem with the fob board battery connection.

The buttons on the rubber key fobs tend to wear out, so I have bought new complete fobs and also some fob shells. My last set of fob shells are slightly different in size than the Saab originals resulting in a loose fit for both the battery and the board inside the fob shell. I think this resulted in damage to the fob boards when I switched the fob shells. The other possibility is the boards wore out. I have now discarded all of these odd sized fob shells.

Warning, be careful if the board or battery do not fit snug inside the fob shell. When I get my third good key fob I will have the set of three reprogrammed. This set are all original Saab fobs.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    Interesting now that I'm back using a perfectly good key fob I noticed the driver's door lock working better. I have replaced the door lock three times already and was beginning to notice some symptoms of the lock going bad again. All these symptoms are gone now. So, add a fob computer board malfunction to the intermittent door lock not working cause list. Probably an intermittent electrical short circuit before the piece fell off and the door unlock/ lock buttons stopped working altogether. The key would still start my 9-3.