Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 9-5 Aero 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc
    Thumbs Up:   0

Running rough!!!!

Hey guys I have a 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc 2.0 that's running real rough! I recently replaced the head gasket on it. After the head gasket replacement it seemed not to wanna start very easily. It won't run rough all the time though! It seems to happen mostly after the engine has reached operating temp. If I drive it down the road it runs awesome as long as I don't take my foot off the throttle. As soon as i let go of the throttle it will die on me. I've verified good spark, fuel pressure, proper compression and timing. It does sound like it might have a little bit of a vacuum leak but i can not figure out where its coming from!! I cant find a vacuum line diagram anywhere! So im not even really sure if i have my vacuum lines in the right place. Also, is the throttle body supposed to cycle from min to max and back when the key is turned to the on position? Can i somehow reset the throttle body? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Thumbs Up:   127
    The throttle body is supposed to cycle with key on. I don't remember finding a complete vacuum hose diagram in the WIS, but if you have the WIS click on engine and from there you can click on the different systems and the gear icon to find function diagrams of the different systems and you will eventually know where all the vacuum hoses go. If you don't have the WIS go to the first sticky in the tech talk section and get what you need.

Vacuum leak can be fairly easy to find, I use an unlighted butane torch with a couple feet of rubber hose stuck over the torch tip to put flammable gas around the vacuum hoses, when your motor races you've found the leak.

1 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 9-5 Aero 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc
    Thumbs Up:   0
    Thanks for the response, Digger! I'm gonna try to look for the vacuum leak tonight and hopefully get a hold of a shop around here that could maybe reprogram my throttle body. Thanks again!!

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Thumbs Up:   127
    Quote Originally Posted by buttguts View Post
    Thanks for the response, Digger! I'm gonna try to look for the vacuum leak tonight and hopefully get a hold of a shop around here that could maybe reprogram my throttle body. Thanks again!!
    Our 2003 - 06 Saab 2.0t throttle bodies aren't programmable. On power up they cycle end to end and the ECM re-syncs to feed back readings. The crimped metal component cover makes these extremely difficult to DIY repair, the same throttle body is used on other GM cars and can be purchased using those part numbers for considerably less than the same part with the Saab part number. The Chevy part number can be cross referenced to the after market manufacturer and bought without the raised GM letters on the side for even less. No programming necessary easy DIY replacement if the throttle body is the problem. Pretty reliable part, but dirt does cause problems, remove from intake and give both sides of the butterfly a good cleaning and check for smooth operation before replacing. Throttle position sensor is also no programming easy DIY repair, but it sells as a complete foot feed assembly and cost a small fortune to get the gas peddle that fits the Saab. Same sensor is used on multiple foot feeds and the savings is worth the effort to move the sensor if that should ever become a problem.

0 Not allowed!