Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    Well it is still leaking in the same area so I am down to the rear main seal as the issue. My repair guy in Denver wants $1500 to pull the transmission, replace the remain seal, half axle boots, transmission seal on it. So I might end up doing it. Yuck!

But I might check the valve cover again. I didn't see a leaking but I hoping to find one that would be easy to fix.

Here is a pic I took tonight showing the leaking.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by toxicavenger; 10 July 2018 at 05:26.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    $1500 is a lot of money to stop an oil leak, but a pretty fair price to R&R the tranny and replace tranny seals, main seal and half shafts. Just because the valve cover gasket isn't leaking doesn't meant that your oil leak isn't coming from the top end and working its way down. I suggest powdering the engine block with some white flour, almost everyone has some flower in their kitchen cupboard, it's non toxic, non corrosive, bio degradable, cleans off easy and does a great job of marking small oil and coolant leaks. Do avoid dusting the alternator and those other hard to clean electrical things.

With any luck you could find a leaky line or an easy to fix oozing head plug.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    So it is the rear main seal. I am going to let the shop do it and replace the subframe, bushings, cv boots, and sway bushing while they are doing it.

Thanks for all the help. No badge this time Wulf!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Sometimes it is better to let someone else do these kind of repairs. Those badges are a bit overrated anyways.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nordwulf View Post
    Sometimes it is better to let someone else do these kind of repairs. Those badges are a bit overrated anyways.
    Agreed Wulf!

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    So a little update. I took the car to my semi-local garage in Denver to do the work. They did a smoke test and found the rear main seal leak, valve cover leak, crankcase vent leak on the back of the engine, timing cover, and front main seal. Which is crazy since I did most fix over the years. But this car has always leaked in the 10 years I have owned it. So I had them pull the motor and basically reseal everything except the headgaset (it was fine). They did the transmission seal also, cv joints, and replaced all of the crankcase hoses on the back of the motor. The bill was large at $3K but the motor is perfect. Not leaks at all and way worth it. I also had them replace my subframe bushings and sway bar bushings.

The car should be good to go for at least another 160k.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    I was going to say Rear main seal from the beginning - looks like you got there eventually. Glad it's fixed! Pulling the transmission is not a hard job - but a time consuming one. Sounds like you did everything you could while it was out! Smart!
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    I was going to say Rear main seal from the beginning - looks like you got there eventually. Glad it's fixed! Pulling the transmission is not a hard job - but a time consuming one. Sounds like you did everything you could while it was out! Smart!
    Jeff actually the mechanic did everything for me while it was out. The car is doing wonderful!

Now time to get my front seats upholstered soon. Unless someone knows a lead on some parchment front seat skins???