Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5

2006 9-5 slow crank when hot

So I’ve exhausted my searching and am at a loss. After being driven and the engine bay gets hot, I’ll get a slow crank (almost like a dying battery) but it won’t start. If I let it sit about 30 minutes, it’ll finally start, unless it’s a really hot day, then it takes longer. I’ve replaced the cps, with a heat shield, as the symptoms seeem to indicate a bad cps. But it’s still happening. Thoughts?

It’s a manual, so no NSS. New battery, OEM DIC. I do have a leak at the start of the mid muffler, and I was thinking that the exhaust might not be getting drawn out of the engine bay quickly due to the leak...

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Don't over think the problem, batteries die from heat as well as cold and heat can expand weak electrical contacts to the point of no function. Three most likely points to find slow crank when hot are cable connects, starter motor and battery. Check wire connects at starter motor and battery, not just how tight wires are on the starter, but also check for play in post connects on starter. Have battery output tested when hot and slow cranking and if good pull the starter motor and give it a thorough going over.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Don't over think the problem, batteries die from heat as well as cold and heat can expand weak electrical contacts to the point of no function. Three most likely points to find slow crank when hot are cable connects, starter motor and battery. Check wire connects at starter motor and battery, not just how tight wires are on the starter, but also check for play in post connects on starter. Have battery output tested when hot and slow cranking and if good pull the starter motor and give it a thorough going over.
    This

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5
    Haha yup, I tend to over think things and ignore the obvious. Thanks, I’ll check out the starter