Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Viggen Convertible
    The bad lifter could be causing the noise, but the broken plug and low compression indicates to me that it could be a piston problem. If anything the valve with the bad lifter would not open fully. #4 could have leaned out fuel wise and cracked or melted part of the piston. A small piece of the piston could have damaged the plug, possibly a lean fuel mixture could have too. It is known that #4 piston will be damaged if the MAF causes a lean fuel mixture. Read a few posts concerning this over the years. I'd consider pulling the head or getting a cheap ebay bore-scope/USB small camera to check out #4 piston for damage or just pull the head. I'd also pull the pan and check for sludge. Does it have the PCV #6 update?

You might want to re-torque the head bolts to see if that brings up #4 compression to match the others.

I bought a 2001 Viggen convertible earlier this year with 178k on it to restore and tinker around with. The car runs well but I have limited service history and it does not have the PCV #6 update. Drove it a few times but I am waiting until I drop the pan before I drive it again.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1997 NG 900 SE
    Suspect burnt exhaust valve. Try leak down test before pulling head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 Viggen
    Hey all,

Another update. I pulled the spark plug from Cylinder 4 and used a boroscope to inspect the cylinder wall and piston head. What am I seeing? Bad piston? Bad cylinder wall?

Next steps?

Thanks,
    John.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Viggen Convertible
    Tough to tell from that. But the cylinder walls do look scored to me. The marks on the cylinder walls seem to match marks on the top of the piston. Maybe post a bit more?

Saab(s)
    2000 9-3 Viggen Convertible
    Looks like the knock is piston slap. Notice the change in the width of the gap between the wall and the piston? At what appears to be the widest gap is definitely scoring. Based upon that damage and the lifter damage, that side of the motor is getting enough oil.

EDIT: While my original thought is a possibility after a couple beers my idiot light went on. How old is your IC? Or miles since it was replaced, if ever? I'm leaning more towards pre-ignition which would explain the initial lag and subsequent carnage in such a short period of time and burns any oil out of the chamber, hence no lube and quick damage. Not likely the ECU, and oh how we love those throwaway IC's that slap you as they're leaving. And if that thing was advancing on #4 to cause pre-ignition, you got off lucky.
    Last edited by warhoop; 23 October 2018 at 12:32.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '97 Talladega convertible....900 na chipped convertible, .....
    You're doing everything right but...a broken plug is indicative of using beyond it's 5yr shelf life, or over revving far too often...it's one or the other I'm sorry.
    The very 1st thing to check a ticking sound on a Saab engine, is the idle pulley in your fanbelt....these pulleys are renowned for breakages....as the sides start to crack and chip away, the fanbelt starts to quiver as it spins and catchers on the retainer wall of the pulley, hence the ticking sound.
    Since the condition of your plug suggests an earlier lack of maintenance, I would bet my left testicle the idler pulley is about to collapse!
    It's a 5min repair

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    you seems not have respect for your balls lol

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)

Idiots abound

Quote Originally Posted by swisssaabist View Post
    you seems not have respect for your balls lol
    Your not very bright , best you not comment. ... double lol

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    seems the 4th is more subject to have issues than other ones, it happen when the tappet is starved from oil, checking could be useful, if you have oil sludge even if that type of engine is not the 205 from 9-5 .
    maybe some here are more qualified than i'am on that field.
    but when old plugs are used if they are not designed to detect knockings and misfires it could have pull timing ...and ruin your plug
    any CEL?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Hi again! I owe you an apology, I'm so sorry...I misread your first reply to me, thought you were being rude....I'm genuinely sorry for my reply.
    I'm pretty good with cars, but I'm not so flash with people, so that's what's this post is, an apology only....I hate being wrong, but I most certainly was wrong with my reply to you about the "respect for my balls" comments,sorry