Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    But it does have spark plug cables Geoff. I looked it up in the WIS and the B204i engine has a distributor and Motronic ignition system. Interesting..!

And it's not a regular coil pack but just a cover with spark plug cables underneath.

Name:  2018-09-15_21-54-45.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  81.7 KB

Name:  2018-09-15_22-00-12.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  118.9 KB

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    It still has a CPS. Instructions to replace: doc1298.pdf

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRiot View Post
    After hours spent changing the ignition switch, still no difference.. Checked all contacts and no loose wires.
    Is there any hope left for my dear olÂ’ Saab?
    Of course there is hope for your dear old Saab.

You can roll start by dropping the clutch and not with the key and you have replaced the switch and still No Go, you have a bad connection and it's obviously not in the switch.

If it brake works, set the parking brake, if not chock the wheels, put the tranny in neutral, turn the key to the run position and jump the starter contacts to spin the motor. If the engine starts and runs you have a bad connection inside the start circuit. Wires can break inside the insulation sleeve and look good to the human eye and not carry electricity. Stranded wire can wiggle breaking enough strands inside the sleeve to ohm like a good connection, but not have the capacity to carry current necessary to do the job. Relays can click like they work and contacts can get dirty or burn to the point that they don't carry enough current to do the job.

Wiggle every wire bundle, jump every wire and relay contact in the circuit and eventually you find the bad contact. Absolute worst case bad contact and least likely would be pin to circuit board on your Motronic engine controller, most likely place for cable break is near retainer clamp under the hood.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-3 2.0
    Had a look at the relays a minute ago with my dad and he took out the ignition switch relay to check it, and tried to start the car (for fun I assume) and she started up with no problem. And he said that’s not supposed to happen when the relay is removed. To say the least I’m quite puzzled. If it’s not supposed to be possible to start the car with the relay out, why and how did it start?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-3 2.0
    Pretty sure we know what the problem is, a bad connection, but we don’t know where. Anyone know where we can find different diagrams with color codes? Tried downloading the WIS but seems like it isn’t working properly because it doesn’t show me any pictures or diagrams.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRiot View Post
    To say the least I’m quite puzzled. If it’s not supposed to be possible to start the car with the relay out, why and how did it start?

Pretty sure we know what the problem is, a bad connection, but we don’t know where. Anyone know where we can find different diagrams with color codes? Tried downloading the WIS but seems like it isn’t working properly because it doesn’t show me any pictures or diagrams.
    Using the WIS for the first time is like the first time playing a video game, you don't get instructions on how the WIS works and you don't get instruction on how to win a free game at the video arcade.

The relay is a bit simpler to understand. Some cars are wired to feed power to power ignition and all optional circuits as default, others are wired to power ignition and disconnect all optional circuits as default. Without knowing which relay was pulled or looking at the WIS to figure out how this year Saab is wired, my guess is the start circuit on your car is wired to power all optional circuits as default and power from the start relay triggers the option disconnect relay and the relay contact, or its ignition power feed line is your problem.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    Do you have changed the DIC ? direct ignition cassette
    better using OEM ones, plenty of us have experimented issues with others... like sparkplugs use only NGK only with correct model following the owner's manual specs , meanwhile i'll bet for the CPS too that part is not so expensive and could be changed by yourself.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-3 2.0
    Problem kinda solved..? After a bunch of looking and searching for what the problem could be we discovered that she will start without fail, but only if you turn the key and let her sit for about half a minute and "clear" whatever display messages pop up. She's been running fine like that for the last 3-4 days or so.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-3 2.0
    Problem officially solved! It was the CPS going haywire.