Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2010 9-3x, 2003 9-5 aero

2010 9-3X, Key does not work

Checked key battery - OK
    Disconnected negative battery cable and reconnect - no result
    Dashboard message - "Steering lock failure"

Based on no success - failure of some unit in the Saab controlling entry and ignition.

Anyone have this issue?

Thanks

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by directr1 View Post
    Checked key battery - OK
    Disconnected negative battery cable and reconnect - no result
    Dashboard message - "Steering lock failure"

Based on no success - failure of some unit in the Saab controlling entry and ignition.

Anyone have this issue?

Thanks
    Posted 12 hours ago this failure should have cleared itself about 11 hours ago as that has been my experience with this as an intermittent failure. Having been through this little irritation several times I have found that locking and unlocking all doors with the fob and pushing the fob into the switch hole twice while wiggling the steering wheel clears the failure.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2010 9-3x, 2003 9-5 aero

Key/fob

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Posted 12 hours ago this failure should have cleared itself about 11 hours ago as that has been my experience with this as an intermittent failure. Having been through this little irritation several times I have found that locking and unlocking all doors with the fob and pushing the fob into the switch hole twice while wiggling the steering wheel clears the failure.
    Thanks for your reply
    Key/fob will not open doors, can use "manual" key, ignition is also not functioning, based on scanning YouTube, the CIM could be the issue. i would plan to have a Saab mechanic wade in on this and provide the fix.

Considering that a Saab now has reduced value, it would be nice if there was a kit to bypass the "security" tech on the vehicle. Replacing the CIM will be close to a grand in cost.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2010 9-3x, 2003 9-5 aero

Solution

Thanks for your reply
    Key/fob will not open doors, can use "manual" key, ignition is also not functioning, based on scanning YouTube, the CIM could be the issue. i would plan to have a Saab mechanic wade in on this and provide the fix.

Considering that a Saab now has reduced value, it would be nice if there was a kit to bypass the "security" tech on the vehicle. Replacing the CIM will be close to a grand in cost.
    I got the 9-3X to start, referencing a YouTube video about reseting the 5 amp fuse in position 2 inside the left side dash fuse box.

1 Key in ignition won't turn
    2 Pull fuse and reinsert
    3 Take key out of ignition and reinsert'
    4 Key will now turn to start the car
    5 Also the key fob will lock and unlock car.

See how long this "fix" will last.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2010 9-3x, 2003 9-5 aero

The Fix did not last

I got the 9-3X to start, referencing a YouTube video about reseting the 5 amp fuse in position 2 inside the left side dash fuse box.

1 Key in ignition won't turn
    2 Pull fuse and reinsert
    3 Take key out of ignition and reinsert'
    4 Key will now turn to start the car
    5 Also the key fob will lock and unlock car.

See how long this "fix" will last.
    I came back to the car used the key fob to open doors, no success.

1. Does the system e.g. Unlocking, starting car, reset itself to a "negative" state.
    2. The 5 amp, position 2 fuse that was reset (taken out then reinserted) reverts to a "off" position?
    3. The fuse panel cover has a backup 5 amp fuse, I will replace the current with the backup.

Any suggestions on why the system continues to fail longer term even with a fuse reset.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Do you have a second fob and does it have the same problem?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2010 9-3x, 2003 9-5 aero

Two keys

Do you have a second fob and does it have the same problem?
    Hi, have 2 keys with same issue.

After resetting the position 2, 5 amp fuse both keys worked (unlock car and start car). Locked car after this process, came back and tried opening 2 hrs later, unlock with both keys fail.

There is some processing in the Saab that will internally fail, that the resetting of the fuse will fix for a limited time. I am going to try and discover what the elapsed time is for failure.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Any cheap code reader will let you know if auto shutdown is working like it should as it will know when test port looses power. If you don't find a problem with auto shutdown, you will need Saab tool and software to find and fix.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2010 9-3x, 2003 9-5 aero

Ignition Switch

Any cheap code reader will let you know if auto shutdown is working like it should as it will know when test port looses power. If you don't find a problem with auto shutdown, you will need Saab tool and software to find and fix.
    I think the switch is the problem, using the fuse reset, I have to insert, reinsert the key multiple times to get the car to start. Saab mechanic has seen this as the primary issue with getting car unlocked and started.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Long before I ever even thought of owning a Saab I thought the key in the console was a "novel?" idea and I would much rather have the key in the console and not the fob with the big collect all dirt hole which I find to be a bit of an irritation. Have to agree with your mechanic, if you have to punch the fob into the hole several times to trigger the wheel lock, it's time to do something with the switch. When the switch isn't working like it should the auto shutdown might not work like it should and when that gets screwy the system needs to be reset to work.

Just a little FYI for the future readers of this post and that is when you start pulling power from this system, either by fuses or battery cables, both fobs need to be inserted and removed from the switch to re-synch the remote openers with the car.