Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 95 Arc

Turbo Question(s)

Sorry to clutter up the board, but couldn't find a definitive answer to my question(s). I have a 2004 Arc 128,000 miles with a stage 1 Maptun upgrade and an open intake. Everything else stock.

My first question is a few weeks ago out of nowhere I started to hear a strange sound that only happens when the boost is under heavier load. It's almost like a higher pitched whistle sound (but not a whistle), if that makes sense. I've checked all vacuum lines and everything seems to be fine. About a week after this sound started I bought the Maptun stage 1 upgrade. The sound is still there and sounds the exact same but is louder. Again, when I'm driving "normal" I can't really hear it. But when I apply moderate to heavy acceleration it is definitely noticeable. When I replace mounts, subframe bearings, struts and shocks this weekend I'll take off the pipe and see if there is any play in the turbo to answer my own question, but just wanted to get some opinions.

My second question is this: I am looking at purchasing this turbo from Abbott Racing (TD04 uprated turbo) because if I exchange my current one it is only $450. Seems like a decent price. However, with everything in my car stock other than the tune and intake, will it be good for my engine to put a turbo with the power of a 19T with no downpipe/upgraded intake pipe? Also, it says it is for the 04 aero cars, but mine is an arc, will I need to get the aero cobra pipe? Sorry for all the questions! New Saab owner and have gotten into the world of upgrades. It's killing my budget but making me so happy Thanks for your help!

https://www.abbottsaab.com/product/upgraded-turbocharger-for-aero-models-saab-9-5/

EDIT: Wanted to say, appreciate everyone on this forum. Seems like the other Saab forums people either don't want to respond to me or make me feel like I shouldn't have asked a question. You guys have always responded with great advice.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 5 door
    In reverse order -- assuming your wastegate is functioning properly, there's no risk to the Abbott turbo. The software and the wastegate will limit boost. You won't realize all the value of the modified turbo without further intake, exhaust and software mods, but on the upside you'll have the turbo, which is the most labor.

Regards the noise, could be a loose clamp on a pipe or hose in the boost path, or a hole in a pipe or hose.