Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 Aero Convertible 2.8T Auto (current) Previous: '71 99 Sedan, '74 99 Combi, '85 900 Combi

Front air dam pulled loose; reattach??

I parked too close to the parking barrier and when I backed up, the left side of my bumper cover/air dam was pulled loose. See photos. I'm not able to get it back into place by hand. The front corner needs to come up and back (difficult), while the rear edge will need to be pushed down into the opening. I was thinking of putting the jack under the front corner to raise the thing but not sure if that's a good idea. Or should I just take it to my local body shop and hope it's a fairly simple matter? Any body shop should be able deal with this, right? Thanks, Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    These things are a lot easier to work with in 70 degree weather than they are in 50, but you should be able to muscle it back into place even in todays weather. You will need to un due the lower cowl so that you can move everything back into place and the WIS directions for fog light replacement ought to tell you almost everything you need to know for removing that part. Doesn't look like you tore any of the plastic and you should be able to re-tension all the retaining clips except for the narrow one by the headlight, but a little dab of body trim adhesive works wonders for those.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 Aero Convertible 2.8T Auto (current) Previous: '71 99 Sedan, '74 99 Combi, '85 900 Combi
    Digger, Thanks for quick reply and detailed information. Upon consideration, it's a bit more than I am able/equipped to deal with right now. I'll take it to a local body shop that knows me and hope it isn't too expensive. Thanks again, Steve

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    So there's a happy ending to the story. Took it to my local body shop and the guy says that he can either try to put it back in place, or remove the whole cover and inspect. Naturally, I chose the first option. It probably took all of 5 minutes. He knew exactly where the two screws were at front and rear of piece, removed them and moved the piece into place. The question was whether or not the rear screw would hold, given that the screw hole on the rear tab was actually broken out, but just about 1/4 of the "hole" was missing. It did hold, at least for now. "What do I owe you?" "No charge." I love doing business locally!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero51 View Post
    So there's a happy ending to the story. Took it to my local body shop and the guy says that he can either try to put it back in place, or remove the whole cover and inspect. Naturally, I chose the first option. It probably took all of 5 minutes. He knew exactly where the two screws were at front and rear of piece, removed them and moved the piece into place. The question was whether or not the rear screw would hold, given that the screw hole on the rear tab was actually broken out, but just about 1/4 of the "hole" was missing. It did hold, at least for now. "What do I owe you?" "No charge." I love doing business locally!
    Like I said for the front clip, if the screw doesn't hold, a little dab of body trim adhesive works wonders.