Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero

Cylinder head bolts - brand recommendations?

I seem to need to tighten my cylinder head bolts, prior to taking the next step and getting new head gasket.

Eeuroparts.com has two brands, Febi and Saab. The Febi Bilstein brand is a little over twenty dollars cheaper for a set of ten.

Obviously, Saab original parts are more desirable. However, has anyone had experience with these or other brands that they they would recommend?

Should I just get the part that is twenty more dollars expensive? Are there even better cylinder bolt brands that Eeuroparts.com does not currently carry?

I would appreciate any guidance.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    A quality bolt is a quality bolt, Rockauto has better prices for bolts than euro does. Push comes to shove, 4 or 6 cylinder this is a GM engine so plenty of name brands to choose from, but its also a turbo, so figure on spending in the $30 to $40 range and Febi is a brand you can trust as are Fel-pro and Mahle.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Febi is a well-known brand for aftermarket parts and I wouldn't hesitate ordering those. eEuro shows these Febi bolts are made in Germany and the SAAB part is made in Sweden. I wouldn't be surprised if they are the exact same bolts.

But it is $37.40 vs $58.70 so significant % difference. Get the Saab part for peace of mind but I would get the Febi part.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    A quality bolt is a quality bolt, Rockauto has better prices for bolts than euro does. Push comes to shove, 4 or 6 cylinder this is a GM engine so plenty of name brands to choose from, but its also a turbo, so figure on spending in the $30 to $40 range and Febi is a brand you can trust as are Fel-pro and Mahle.
    Unfortunately Digger the 2.3 engine is NOT a GM engine, it is a Saab engine.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    Thank you Digger and nordwulf. I went ahead and ordered the Mehle's from RockAuto.com. They are reasonably priced and should get here by the weekend. Hopefully the re-tightening trick works. If not, I'll likely be ordering a head gasket set next.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
    Unfortunately Digger the 2.3 engine is NOT a GM engine, it is a Saab engine.
    When you're right, you're right. In the late 80's to late 90's the GM 2.3 was called the Quad 4 and it looks more like GM copied from than dictated to. When GM went metric, bolts worldwide got bought in bulk. My point is that if you toss in all the Chevy, Olds, Caddy, Pontiac, Cadillac, GMC head bolts all the same size as the Saab head bolts into a bucket, that you won't be able to tell the difference.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    When you're right, you're right. In the late 80's to late 90's the GM 2.3 was called the Quad 4 and it looks more like GM copied from than dictated to. When GM went metric, bolts worldwide got bought in bulk. My point is that if you toss in all the Chevy, Olds, Caddy, Pontiac, Cadillac, GMC head bolts all the same size as the Saab head bolts into a bucket, that you won't be able to tell the difference.
    Basically, as long as the bolt is to the right specification it shouldn't matter who made it.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Basically, as long as the bolt is to the right specification it shouldn't matter who made it.
    Absolutely right, but when you buy a bolt using an automotive part number it can make a heck of a difference in price.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I disagree. It also greatly depends on the materials used. I am sure you can find these cheaply from manufacturers in Asia but who knows what kind of weak metal they use. What if you try to tighten these bolts and they break off, leaving part of the bolt in the cylinder head? Good luck in fixing that..

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by nordwulf View Post
    I disagree. It also greatly depends on the materials used. I am sure you can find these cheaply from manufacturers in Asia but who knows what kind of weak metal they use. What if you try to tighten these bolts and they break off, leaving part of the bolt in the cylinder head? Good luck in fixing that..
    Frank, in my world the specification includes the material. If an automotive specification doesn't then you would be correct.

Absolutely right, but when you buy a bolt using an automotive part number it can make a heck of a difference in price.
    Try buying a bolt with a BACB* part number and then tell me if automotive bolts are expensive!

*Boeing
    Last edited by GeoffR; 25 October 2018 at 09:15.