Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Faildata View Post
    Update: I've accessed the aluminum lines supplying the heater core, the upper one is too hot to keep my finger on, the lower one is ambient temp or just slightly higher. Heater core is in the mail, I'll update when I get it in for anyone following.
    Never know what you will find when you open the cooling system of a 20 year old car. Some people never flush and replace coolant, most are like me and use the garden hose when they flush and refill, but even the ones who use distilled water and do it all by the book sometimes get a piece of the jug seal in with the coolant. Pulling the hoses under the hood and using the garden hose to back flush the heater core and hoses works often enough to make it worth the effort.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 arc
    Quote Originally Posted by swisssaabist View Post
    how have you fixed it ?
    I went to a junk yard and found the little plastic piece that holds the motor to the blend door

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5
    2004 Saab 9-5 ARC 160K miles
    Hey folks, I hope you can help me out. I am having heat issues...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's been on and off like this for a while, and not very comfortable at all when it doesn't work in the winter, which is fast approaching!!! I am not getting any codes when I do an ACC calibration. No ACC codes currently, but I have seen 1 - 21 before when I had disconnected the battery and re-connected it up. I have checked blend door arm on both sides and they are not broken, but I couldn't really check if the shaft was broken unless I remove more components. As I moved the arm manually it seemed to move well, and it seemed liked the shafts may be ok, but can't be sure. And if I am correct maybe its not a blend door issue otherwise it'd just be an issue on the side where it's broken and I'd get the famous codes 1 08/1 13. This is an issue that affects both sides. I started to do some testing with the ACC controls. The heat was working when I started the test, temp at 70F, outside temp about the same, then as I was testing, I put the heat up to Hi on both sides and worked fine, got hot air, but I'd say not super hot. The feet, the face and defrost angles all worked as I changed the direction of air flow. Then I changed the temperature setting all the way to Lo and got cold air, and the feet, the face and defrost angles all worked again. Wow everything is working! Happy face! Then I changed the temperature setting all the way back to Hi, but the vents kept on blowing cold air this time?!!! I went back and forth a few times, but it stays on cold air. Also another problem I have is the middle vent facing driver doesn't work at all! The middle facing the passenger is strong. The left side facing the driver is ok but feels weak. The right side facing the passenger is ok, slightly better than the left side. Can anyone help me diagnose these issues 1) why is the temp not getting back to the warm setting? What controls this? 2) What could be wrong with the middle driver side facing vent? 3) What controls the strength of the air blowing through these vents? Why is the heat not as hot as it should be on full high?
    Thanks much in advance.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by Janak Desai View Post
    2004 Saab 9-5 ARC 160K miles
    Hey folks, I hope you can help me out. I am having heat issues...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's been on and off like this for a while, and not very comfortable at all when it doesn't work in the winter, which is fast approaching!!! I am not getting any codes when I do an ACC calibration. No ACC codes currently, but I have seen 1 - 21 before when I had disconnected the battery and re-connected it up.

I have checked blend door arm on both sides and they are not broken, but I couldn't really check if the shaft was broken unless I remove more components. As I moved the arm manually it seemed to move well, and it seemed liked the shafts may be ok, but can't be sure. And if I am correct maybe its not a blend door issue otherwise it'd just be an issue on the side where it's broken and I'd get the famous codes 1 08/1 13. This is an issue that affects both sides.

I started to do some testing with the ACC controls. The heat was working when I started the test, temp at 70F, outside temp about the same, then as I was testing, I put the heat up to Hi on both sides and worked fine, got hot air, but I'd say not super hot. The feet, the face and defrost angles all worked as I changed the direction of air flow. Then I changed the temperature setting all the way to Lo and got cold air, and the feet, the face and defrost angles all worked again. Wow everything is working! Happy face! Then I changed the temperature setting all the way back to Hi, but the vents kept on blowing cold air this time?!!! I went back and forth a few times, but it stays on cold air.

Also another problem I have is the middle vent facing driver doesn't work at all! The middle facing the passenger is strong. The left side facing the driver is ok but feels weak. The right side facing the passenger is ok, slightly better than the left side.

Can anyone help me diagnose these issues
    1) why is the temp not getting back to the warm setting? What controls this?
    2) What could be wrong with the middle driver side facing vent? 3) What controls the strength of the air blowing through these vents?
    Why is the heat not as hot as it should be on full high?
    Thanks much in advance.
    Silly question, when did you last change the cabin air filter? On two different cats I have had heating/cooling problems when the filter wasn't changed regularly. I would suggest that you replace the filter first then see if you still have a problem. I can't explain why it happens but it does.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5
    I haven't changed it in a while, but as I was doing the investigation on the passenger side, I did take out the cabin air filter and clean it well since I didn't have another one at the time to replace it with. However, I do need to get a new one. But I'd say it wasn't looking too bad. That's be strange, I'd have thought if it affects it maybe it makes it not so strong, but how would it affect the setting to stay on cold? Some other suggestions from another forum have ben possibly the Coolant Bypass Valve. Maybe I'll get the hoses to bypass the CBV itself to avoid future CBV issues as well.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    I have no idea why a dirty filter should cause temperature control problems but in my experience it can happen. It could be related to reduced air flow. The filters are cheap so you might as well just change it.

In my case the problem was no/limited control rather than a lack of heat but in one car I had a shortage of cold air despite the air conditioning being fine. Both times I changed the filter. As I say filters are cheap and need to be changed regularly anyway.

Of course you could also check the outside air temperature sensor. I had one that was over reading and that didn’t help either. On your car the temperature is only displayed when you select it so a fault could go unnoticed.