Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1

    Join Date
    24 Sep 2018
    Location
    Glens Falls, NY
    Posts
    4
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 Wagon
    Thumbs Up:   0

    1999 9-5 No heat issue

    I've got a 1999 9-5 wagon, with automatic climate control. Bought the car used and am going through trying to get everything in working order. I noticed that there was very mediocre heat in the car, if any. Ran the ACC calibration and came up with Code 8 and code 21. Opened up the dash panel in the driver's footwell and determined the stop arm was broken on the driver's side blend door shaft. From everything I can see the rest of the shaft is fine, I can see some of it with the foot duct removed. I replaced the stop arm and put the motor back in place last night. Ran the ACC calibration and heard kind of a creaky noise coming from the blend door motor location, but only the Code 21 showed, still no heat. At that point I removed the blend door motor again, started the car, and manually moved the blend door arm/shaft. I watched the green flap inside move while I turned the arm, leading me to believe the shaft is fine inside the heater box. Still no heat, with the arm turned manually all the way to either stop. I haven't looked into the Code 21 yet, but as far as I have read or searched that refers to a recirculation door motor problem, which shouldn't be affecting my heat this much as far as I can tell. Is it possible that the coolant bypass valve is bad, maybe heater core clogged, possibly an air bubble in the heater core? I know my way around a car, I just don't know Saabs at all and the time I have been able to spend on this thing is limited. Appreciate any and all insight you might have.

    I guess in summary, I am confused about what flap/door/motors control the change from hot to cold air. As far as I understood there's one on each side due to the dual zone climate control, so the lack of heat on either side makes me think it's something affecting both side.

    0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Bruno
    Saab Addict swisssaabist's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Nov 2016
    Location
    Cheeseland or TICTAC land
    Posts
    603
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    Thumbs Up:   56
    seems indicate you've the main shaft broken inside the box if you haven't any hot air both side

    0 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Saab Enthusiast
    Join Date
    30 Jan 2017
    Location
    Trumbull, CT
    Posts
    88
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 2.3t
    Thumbs Up:   3
    Did you check the temperature of the tubes feeding/leaving the heater core? If not, check and see if they are both hot.

    0 Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Saab Owner Digger's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Oct 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis Minnesota
    Posts
    1,094
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Thumbs Up:   154
    Quote Originally Posted by Faildata View Post
    Still no heat, with the arm turned manually all the way to either stop. I haven't looked into the Code 21 yet, but as far as I have read or searched that refers to a recirculation door motor problem, which shouldn't be affecting my heat this much as far as I can tell. Is it possible that the coolant bypass valve is bad, maybe heater core clogged, possibly an air bubble in the heater core? I know my way around a car, I just don't know Saabs at all and the time I have been able to spend on this thing is limited. Appreciate any and all insight you might have.

    I guess in summary, I am confused about what flap/door/motors control the change from hot to cold air. As far as I understood there's one on each side due to the dual zone climate control, so the lack of heat on either side makes me think it's something affecting both side.

    Luckily you don't need to be a Saab specialist to fix the climate control, but knowing what the Saab codes are sure does help. Sounds like you already found the cure for Code 8 http://home.jtan.com/~joe/saab/code_08.htm and now you're on to Code 21. This could be cheap and easy or a pricy PIA and the easiest way to figure this out is to carefully open the motor case and look for bad gear teeth. I don't know the 1999 Saab, but I do know GM climate control and it senses current change from end of travel and no current change leaves things hanging. Assuming they are similar this code could be preventing your bypass valve for getting the signal it needs to open.

    If you aren't hearing a good gurgle with the heat on you might have a valve problem but you don't have air in the heater core so give both heater hoses the fingertip test and check for near equal hot temp on the in and out hose. Cool hoses means valve not opening, heat on one side and much less to none on other usually means plugged core.

    Been to Glens Falls, gets a bit chilly this time of year and when Lake George freezes over it's just plain darn cold, that's coming real soon so I hope this helps.

    0 Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Saab Enthusiast
    Join Date
    13 Nov 2018
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    66
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 arc
    Thumbs Up:   2
    So I had a code 08 I fixed it but still not getting hot air??? Only get slight warm air when driving plz help it cold oUT here

    0 Not allowed!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    24 Sep 2018
    Location
    Glens Falls, NY
    Posts
    4
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 Wagon
    Thumbs Up:   0
    Update: I've accessed the aluminum lines supplying the heater core, the upper one is too hot to keep my finger on, the lower one is ambient temp or just slightly higher. Heater core is in the mail, I'll update when I get it in for anyone following.

    0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Bruno
    Saab Addict swisssaabist's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Nov 2016
    Location
    Cheeseland or TICTAC land
    Posts
    603
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    Thumbs Up:   56
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggsjam21 View Post
    So I had a code 08 I fixed it but still not getting hot air??? Only get slight warm air when driving plz help it cold oUT here
    how have you fixed it ?

    0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Bruno
    Saab Addict swisssaabist's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Nov 2016
    Location
    Cheeseland or TICTAC land
    Posts
    603
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    Thumbs Up:   56
    Quote Originally Posted by Faildata View Post
    Update: I've accessed the aluminum lines supplying the heater core, the upper one is too hot to keep my finger on, the lower one is ambient temp or just slightly higher. Heater core is in the mail, I'll update when I get it in for anyone following.
    did you have checked the exchange valve under the hood ?

    0 Not allowed!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    24 Sep 2018
    Location
    Glens Falls, NY
    Posts
    4
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 Wagon
    Thumbs Up:   0
    Condition was the same with vacuum manually applied to the bad valve or no vacuum applied, making me suspect the heater core is plugged enough that it's just not flowing. If need be I'll bypass the bypass valve down the road 😁

    0 Not allowed!

  10. #10

    Join Date
    24 Sep 2018
    Location
    Glens Falls, NY
    Posts
    4
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 Wagon
    Thumbs Up:   0
    Autocorrect got me. Bypass valve, not bad valve.

    0 Not allowed!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Too much heat by the feet!
    By dmiles51 in forum Saab 9-5 (1998-2009)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09 June 2016, 21:12
  2. 1999 Saab 9-5 4 cylinder overheating issue
    By thadeous in forum Saab 9-5 (1998-2009)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13 September 2015, 17:08
  3. Continuous heat
    By ChuckC in forum Saab 9-3 (2003-2014)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09 May 2013, 01:16
  4. Heat/AC System
    By jarnod in forum Saab 9-5 (1998-2009)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29 November 2011, 22:21
  5. 1999 Estate Ignition switch issue
    By frankgue in forum Saab 9-5 (1998-2009)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22 December 2010, 10:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT. The time now is 04:59.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.5
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions Inc. All rights reserved.