Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5

Stuck In Park

I've got a 2006 saab 9-5, and it refuses to shift out of park 90% of the time. This particular car has had the issue since I got it, and I am starting to get sick of sticking things down the shift-lock override.
    The car does not have any problems starting, nor do I get any traction or other warning lights. The brake lights work fine, and fuse #1 is good.
    10% of the time, it will shift just fine. And I can press the brake all I want and still hear the solenoid moving each time.
    Another thing to note, is that the back-lighting for the gear selector works intermittently. Maybe it might be somehow related.

Has anyone come across this issue? I've been having trouble finding threads with information useful to me.
    Thanks!

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    NSS switch could be the culprit, anyway i recommend to check the entire harness coming out from the gear lever console

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    If you can press the brake and hear the solenoid snap every time you touch the brakes the light problem is more likely bulb or socket than a related wire harness problem and your solenoid assembly is either loose and you need to tighten the mounting screw, or the arm it moves has broken. You will find out when you pull the console cover.

Saab is always Saab, but it was also GM and when you can't find a Saab thread don't forget to check GM for same or similar problems as there are a lot more of those on the road and in GM when this is a wire harness problem it also comes with key sticking in ignition. If you look at enough U-tube fixes you should be able to find the shift mechanism that looks like yours and seeing the fix is a lot more informative than reading the WIS.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5
    Just to clarify, I don't always hear the solenoid snap, only 10 percent of the time when I am able to shift it out of park. When I have time to remove the cover and take a good look I will report back with my findings.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1997 9-5 2.0t 150 HP sedan
    Do you have a manual transmission? Does the symptom occur only in colder weather?
    If yes, I have a similar problem. All it takes for me is to back up 20 cm and than I can shift the gears no problem.
    I'll be changing my manual trans. fluid in the nearest future, hopefully it will help.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5
    Its an automatic. Seems to happen randomly, regardless of the weather.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    stay focused on NSS or harnesses shorts