Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Roy
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 Hot Aero 2001 Convertible

Help!! Which way round do i fit a Lucas front wheel bearing

Hi All,
    I'm new here, so apologies if this has already been explained before, but I have crawled all over the internet and have yet to find an answer.

I have a new Lucas bearing here to fit to my sisters 2001 Saab 9-3 Hot Aero..
    After looking at several sites, suggesting that there's a magnetic side to the bearings for ABS sensors, I thought I was in the clear, but this bearing does not appear to have a magnetic side. I am also now aware that the setup is different on these beasts.

So what I am stuck with is the old bearing that had no identifying markers on it, no stamping, and identical back and front. To me, this would suggest the bearing direction does not matter.. But the new Lucas bearing, has its branding stamped to one side only, and it also has an indented outer edge on just one side of the bearing.
    Name:  Inked20181128_132023_LIb.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  49.8 KB Name:  b.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  9.4 KBName:  a.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  9.3 KB
    I'm guessing the indent is to assist with pressing the bearing in. Please could someone confirm..?
    Also, does it matter which way round this bearing is seated? The indented edge is the same end as the Lucas stamps on the end of the bearing.
    Would this face the wheel, or inwards towards the driveshaft?

Many thanks to anyone who may be able to help me clear this up. I'd hate to fit it the wrong way.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Hmm, is there a part number? If vendors selling it don't specify right or left, maybe it's either?

Roy
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 Hot Aero 2001 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Hmm, is there a part number? If vendors selling it don't specify right or left, maybe it's either?
    Hi Dave...

I did a little more searching, and then studied the parts of the hub.. then spotted the ABS sensor works off teeth cut into the drive shaft knuckle, and not from the bearing.

I managed to press the stub out, but couldn't find anything to press the outer ring of the bearing, so i bundled the whole strut up on the back of the motorbike and took it to a garage I know.. They did the rest for me..
    They questioned it also, but then agreed the bearing was good in either direction..
    What did confuse them, was the fact the hub had a cir-clip ring on BOTH sides of the bearing.. They reckoned they had never seen that before.
    All back together now.. and working well.

Only spotted the bearing problem while investigating a clunking and rattling noise in that corner on bumps in the road..
    While the strut was led in my house, the damper started leaking on the floor.. Bit of a kick in the teeth considering there were new springs and dampers in all four corners less than 2 weeks ago.
    I guess its going back to the dealer that fitted them.

That's life I guess..

PS... I did have the part number, but its on the box in the bin at the garage that did the bearing for me (for a packet of biscuits)
    Last edited by Sparks; 29 November 2018 at 22:19. Reason: Forgot to add something