Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Roy
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 Hot Aero 2001 Convertible

Question Separate Throttle Position Sensor in Throttle Body number 9188186 ?

Hi All.
    Could someone please shed a little light on the throttle body for a 2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible
    ( YS3D [1998-2003] Convertible T7 1985ccm 205HP 151KW - Petrol )

The throttle body part number is SAAB-9188186 but I was hoping to change just a throttle position sensor and clean the body..
    Does anyone know if this is possible with this particular throttle body ?

I have not removed the throttle body, and so far have not been able to spot anything that looks like the position sensors listed all over the internet that apparently fit this car.
    ( SAAB-5337845 Sensor, Throttle Position ) also ( 91 81 538 Sensor, Throttle Position two totally different looking items.

Can anyone share a little expertise as to where in the throttle body the sensor is, and if it's replaceable.
    And if so, any idea which would be the correct replacement part number please ?

Am hoping to not have to change the whole throttle body just yet.

Thank You

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Take a look at the Bosch BOS-0280122014, it fits a couple dozen different late 90's to early 2000 makes and models including Saab. Look at your throttle body for a rectangular plug connect on the opposite side of the fuel lines and if your little black plastic block looks like this Bosch, it will work.

Roy
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)

Living in hope....

Hey Digger, thanks for the quick reply..
    I have not yet been back out to the car, as its hammering it down with rain, but will nip out a little later to check.
    I not have that part in my shopping basket, along with the first style I found, ready to delete one and buy the other.

After spending hours searching the net for info, I finally figured out it would be easier to search for the whole throttle body, and then scan the images to identify the item i want..
    I found the throttle body below.. Part number SAAB-9188186 that matches the number on mine.
    Name:  Throttle Body 9188186.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  32.4 KB
    The mounting holes on that item are staggered, so i'm hoping that when I pluck up the courage to run outside in the rain and pop the hood i'll know where i'm looking and hopefully have an easy identification on which position sensor it will be.

Name:  Throttle position sensor - 5337845.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  13.8 KB <- SAAB-5337845 vs SAAB-BOS-0280122014 -> Name:  bosch-0280122014-0280122016-90541502-91174211-91176136-91177706-37890pdfe01-3517022600-09181538.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  35.6 KB

My money currently is on the first item, but that's purely based on the ebay photo I found. Will know for sure shortly.

With either of these items, would they just be unbolt and swap, or is there likely to be some kind of spring loaded item behind it that needs pinning in place prior to removal?
    The throttle will obviously be in a relaxed 'off' state, but i have been caught out in the past with an item that had a return tensioner coil imbedded inside it that unwound once its components were removed. (Just worried that with it being a position sensor, it may have a mechanical attachment that requires special care)

Thanks again for your help and support..

Roy
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)

Living in hope....

Thanks Digger..
    I did reply to this yesterday, but the post vanished when I clicked send, and I have no idea where it went lol...

Anyhow... Since then I have researched the Throttle Body, as I already got the part number from that previously..
    The research pointed more towards the larger position sensor rather than the smaller Bosh one you mentioned..
    I have since been out to the car and investigated further with your help of where I would actually be looking..

I found the offending item opposite the fuel lines like you said, but it has offset mounting holes. There is no part number visible on the item, but with a photo taken of it in place, and some serious searching on Sir Google I have 99% confirmed it is part number SAAB-5337845...

Name:  20181215_125110a.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  46.3 KBName:  Throttle position sensor - 5337845.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  13.8 KB

Hopefully it's the right part,.. it looks like the part number is written on the inside of the sensor rather than the back..

I'm a little concerned about there being some attachment behind the sensor when I remove it. Is there likely to be something spring loaded, or some arm that may move position once i remove the sensor, or is it as simple as unplug, remove, replace and plug back in..?

Only changing it because we had a P0101 fault that just kept coming back, and after changing MAF and vacuum hoses, breather hoses, cleaning contacts, checking for ai leaks etc.. I finally stripped the wiring to the MAF and cut out the three cables back as far as the top of the front strut, and replaced with new cables, this was 7 days ago now, and all appears clear, but there is still a random splutter from the engine, and occasionally it will stall.. There's also a very long run on of the engine after releasing the throttle.. Sounds like your changing gear without releasing the throttle.. Checked throttle cable and return spring on the throttle body and all work smoothly...

The cars got 180k on it, and it looks like almost everything on it so far has been original.. Would do the whole throttle body if funds were a little better off..

Part ordered, wish me luck

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Thanks Digger..
    I did reply to this yesterday, but the post vanished when I clicked send, and I have no idea where it went lol...
    My apologies.. both your posts ended up int he moderation queue and I haven't checked it for a while. Should be visible now.

Roy
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nordwulf View Post
    My apologies.. both your posts ended up in the moderation queue and I haven't checked it for a while. Should be visible now.

No worries nordwulf, I figured with it being over Christmas that moderation may take a while.. Cheers for the update.

Ordered the position sensor. Also ordered new seals for the throttle body in case it gets taken off to clean, along with random other items that needed to be imported to the UK, so the bits only arrived between Christmas and the New Year.
    I have everything here now, but have not yet had the chance to work on the car.

Will update with results as soon as I get round to looking

Happy New Year to you all