Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Saab Fan
    Join Date
    04 Dec 2014
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    43
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 2.3
    Thumbs Up:   0
    I have the later model small pump in the side of the block 20001 model so Please someone how does one know when this is operating correctly
    and what does the join in the line to the intake manifold do and what way is the flow

    0 Not allowed!

  2. #12
    Saab Fan
    Join Date
    22 Jul 2018
    Location
    US PNW
    Posts
    41
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 5 door
    Thumbs Up:   5
    If memory serves, the pipe to the brake booster is just held in the booster with a rubber grommet. Some careful/determined wiggling and prying will release it. For the connections with the red sleeve, you pull on the pipe while pushing on the sleeve. Again, some wiggling helps, and it doesn't take a lot of force.

    Being a 2001 MY, does it have a vacuum pump? My 2001 MY in the US market does not have a vacuum pump. I have a 2000 MY parts car that does.

    And the easy way to test the one way valves is to blow into the line. Don't suck, that can result in a mouth full of some unpleasant liquid. My ex-wife taught me that... BadaBoom!

    0 Not allowed!

  3. #13
    Saab Fan
    Join Date
    04 Dec 2014
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    43
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 2.3
    Thumbs Up:   0

    thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by ts888 View Post
    If memory serves, the pipe to the brake booster is just held in the booster with a rubber grommet. Some careful/determined wiggling and prying will release it. For the connections with the red sleeve, you pull on the pipe while pushing on the sleeve. Again, some wiggling helps, and it doesn't take a lot of force.

    Being a 2001 MY, does it have a vacuum pump? My 2001 MY in the US market does not have a vacuum pump. I have a 2000 MY parts car that does.

    And the easy way to test the one way valves is to blow into the line. Don't suck, that can result in a mouth full of some unpleasant liquid. My ex-wife taught me that... BadaBoom!

    mine has a smll silver I guess pump that the end of the pipe goes inot
    the question I guess that unit sucks air for the vacume brake unit
    so how much suction would be felt to show its good
    the other question why the valve part way alog the goes down to the intake manifold . what direction it that on air flow

    0 Not allowed!

  4. #14
    Saab Fan
    Join Date
    22 Jul 2018
    Location
    US PNW
    Posts
    41
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 5 door
    Thumbs Up:   5
    The vacuum pump needs to provide a maximum capacity similar to manifold vacuum in a non-boosted car, so generally speaking, 12-13 psi or 25-28 inches of mercury.

    The reason the line runs to the manifold is because when the throttle is closed (or nearly closed and decelerating) the engine is creating vacuum which supplements the pump. Saab is somewhat unique in using both a vacuum pump and manifold vacuum. Ever the iconoclasts...

    Also, I notice you say your pump is "in the side of the block." On a 4 cylinder, the vacuum pump is mounted on the end of the exhaust camshaft. When facing the front of the car, it's at the right end of the cam cover, aligned with the front bank. I've been doddling on assuming you have a 4 cylinder, if you have a v6 then ignore me, I know nothing of that engine.

    0 Not allowed!

  5. #15
    Saab Fan
    Join Date
    04 Dec 2014
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    43
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 2.3
    Thumbs Up:   0

    greatly appreciate

    Quote Originally Posted by ts888 View Post
    The vacuum pump needs to provide a maximum capacity similar to manifold vacuum in a non-boosted car, so generally speaking, 12-13 psi or 25-28 inches of mercury.

    The reason the line runs to the manifold is because when the throttle is closed (or nearly closed and decelerating) the engine is creating vacuum which supplements the pump. Saab is somewhat unique in using both a vacuum pump and manifold vacuum. Ever the iconoclasts...

    Also, I notice you say your pump is "in the side of the block." On a 4 cylinder, the vacuum pump is mounted on the end of the exhaust camshaft. When facing the front of the car, it's at the right end of the cam cover, aligned with the front bank. I've been doddling on assuming you have a 4 cylinder, if you have a v6 then ignore me, I know nothing of that engine.

    Many thanks for this info

    Now please explain how this could be effecting the PCV system and adding to the problem of the overload on the motor
    The first inspection and using soap to detect and vacume leaks showed nothing
    I shall remove the tube from the pump later today and see or feal if there is a contsant preasure being emmitted

    0 Not allowed!

  6. #16
    Saab Fan
    Join Date
    04 Dec 2014
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    43
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 2.3
    Thumbs Up:   0

    update

    Quote Originally Posted by xenon View Post
    Many thanks for this info

    Now please explain how this could be affecting the PCV system and adding to the problem of the overload on the motor
    The first inspection and using soap to detect and vacuum leaks showed nothing
    I shall remove the tube from the pump later today and see or feel if there is a constant pressure being emmitted
    I removed the pipe to the pump when slightly above idle holding once finger to the pump outlet the suction is such it holds one finger in place so that appears to be correct
    I can't test the inlet as I can't pull the pipe out without damaging it

    so I think we can rule this out as an area that is causing the Bool to expand over the oil filler pipe

    0 Not allowed!

  7. #17
    Bruno
    Saab Addict swisssaabist's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Nov 2016
    Location
    Cheeseland or TICTAC land
    Posts
    556
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    Thumbs Up:   50
    so that's not that i'm lost a bit knowing you have almost checking all the usual culprits...

    0 Not allowed!

  8. #18
    Saab Fan
    Join Date
    04 Dec 2014
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    43
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 2.3
    Thumbs Up:   0

    so strange

    Quote Originally Posted by swisssaabist View Post
    so that's not that i'm lost a bit knowing you have almost checking all the usual culprits...

    to recap the problem is oil is comming up from the return tank on pcv system and following it along back up to the large pipe and to the inletanifold
    the Balloon rises on the top of the oil filler

    question what can happen if its just left to whats it is

    could any of these cause this

    1 a blocked or damaged oil flow inside the rocker cover it self causing preasure as its pully from the outlet
    2 I have replaced the sparkplugs with the highest quality long life but I think i made the mistake in using onse that were from a cooler climate than australia

    0 Not allowed!

  9. #19
    Closet Intellectual Pali7's Avatar
    Join Date
    15 Nov 2013
    Location
    Palisade, Colorado
    Posts
    69
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 ARC
    Thumbs Up:   3
    While you are thinking about what is happening, do a compression check on all 4 cylinders.

    0 Not allowed!

  10. #20
    Saab Fan
    Join Date
    22 Jul 2018
    Location
    US PNW
    Posts
    41
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 5 door
    Thumbs Up:   5
    When you say "the balloon rises on top of the oil filler" I'm assuming you mean you have positive crankcase pressure at idle.

    It is possible that the pipes inside the cam cover are blocked. When I was rebuilding my 2.3 I found the pipes in the cam cover totally blocked. I used a torch to heat them and then pushed out the crud with compressed air. Solvent wouldn't budge that crap.

    0 Not allowed!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Windshield washers fixed!
    By '07 Aero in forum Saab 9-3 (2003-2014)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30 March 2017, 21:06
  2. Stalls after 10 seconds, Turbo just replaced
    By gmledbetter in forum Saab 9-5 (1998-2009)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31 August 2013, 14:42
  3. '03 9-5 2.3T 4 cylinder / MIsfire Solution / fixed
    By photousa in forum Saab 9-5 (1998-2009)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03 January 2013, 20:30
  4. Airbag light fixed.
    By simpleaz in forum Saab 9-3 (2003-2014)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18 October 2012, 03:08
  5. multiple problems, some fixed, some remain
    By explorerfx4 in forum Saab 9-5 (1998-2009)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09 March 2012, 21:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:52.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.5
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions Inc. All rights reserved.