Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 2.3
    I have the later model small pump in the side of the block 20001 model so Please someone how does one know when this is operating correctly
    and what does the join in the line to the intake manifold do and what way is the flow

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 5 door
    If memory serves, the pipe to the brake booster is just held in the booster with a rubber grommet. Some careful/determined wiggling and prying will release it. For the connections with the red sleeve, you pull on the pipe while pushing on the sleeve. Again, some wiggling helps, and it doesn't take a lot of force.

Being a 2001 MY, does it have a vacuum pump? My 2001 MY in the US market does not have a vacuum pump. I have a 2000 MY parts car that does.

And the easy way to test the one way valves is to blow into the line. Don't suck, that can result in a mouth full of some unpleasant liquid. My ex-wife taught me that... BadaBoom!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 2.3

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ts888 View Post
    If memory serves, the pipe to the brake booster is just held in the booster with a rubber grommet. Some careful/determined wiggling and prying will release it. For the connections with the red sleeve, you pull on the pipe while pushing on the sleeve. Again, some wiggling helps, and it doesn't take a lot of force.

Being a 2001 MY, does it have a vacuum pump? My 2001 MY in the US market does not have a vacuum pump. I have a 2000 MY parts car that does.

And the easy way to test the one way valves is to blow into the line. Don't suck, that can result in a mouth full of some unpleasant liquid. My ex-wife taught me that... BadaBoom!

mine has a smll silver I guess pump that the end of the pipe goes inot
    the question I guess that unit sucks air for the vacume brake unit
    so how much suction would be felt to show its good
    the other question why the valve part way alog the goes down to the intake manifold . what direction it that on air flow

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 5 door
    The vacuum pump needs to provide a maximum capacity similar to manifold vacuum in a non-boosted car, so generally speaking, 12-13 psi or 25-28 inches of mercury.

The reason the line runs to the manifold is because when the throttle is closed (or nearly closed and decelerating) the engine is creating vacuum which supplements the pump. Saab is somewhat unique in using both a vacuum pump and manifold vacuum. Ever the iconoclasts...

Also, I notice you say your pump is "in the side of the block." On a 4 cylinder, the vacuum pump is mounted on the end of the exhaust camshaft. When facing the front of the car, it's at the right end of the cam cover, aligned with the front bank. I've been doddling on assuming you have a 4 cylinder, if you have a v6 then ignore me, I know nothing of that engine.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 2.3

greatly appreciate

Quote Originally Posted by ts888 View Post
    The vacuum pump needs to provide a maximum capacity similar to manifold vacuum in a non-boosted car, so generally speaking, 12-13 psi or 25-28 inches of mercury.

The reason the line runs to the manifold is because when the throttle is closed (or nearly closed and decelerating) the engine is creating vacuum which supplements the pump. Saab is somewhat unique in using both a vacuum pump and manifold vacuum. Ever the iconoclasts...

Also, I notice you say your pump is "in the side of the block." On a 4 cylinder, the vacuum pump is mounted on the end of the exhaust camshaft. When facing the front of the car, it's at the right end of the cam cover, aligned with the front bank. I've been doddling on assuming you have a 4 cylinder, if you have a v6 then ignore me, I know nothing of that engine.

Many thanks for this info

Now please explain how this could be effecting the PCV system and adding to the problem of the overload on the motor
    The first inspection and using soap to detect and vacume leaks showed nothing
    I shall remove the tube from the pump later today and see or feal if there is a contsant preasure being emmitted

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 2.3

update

Quote Originally Posted by xenon View Post
    Many thanks for this info

Now please explain how this could be affecting the PCV system and adding to the problem of the overload on the motor
    The first inspection and using soap to detect and vacuum leaks showed nothing
    I shall remove the tube from the pump later today and see or feel if there is a constant pressure being emmitted
    I removed the pipe to the pump when slightly above idle holding once finger to the pump outlet the suction is such it holds one finger in place so that appears to be correct
    I can't test the inlet as I can't pull the pipe out without damaging it

so I think we can rule this out as an area that is causing the Bool to expand over the oil filler pipe

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    so that's not that i'm lost a bit knowing you have almost checking all the usual culprits...

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 2.3

so strange

Quote Originally Posted by swisssaabist View Post
    so that's not that i'm lost a bit knowing you have almost checking all the usual culprits...

to recap the problem is oil is comming up from the return tank on pcv system and following it along back up to the large pipe and to the inletanifold
    the Balloon rises on the top of the oil filler

question what can happen if its just left to whats it is

could any of these cause this

1 a blocked or damaged oil flow inside the rocker cover it self causing preasure as its pully from the outlet
    2 I have replaced the sparkplugs with the highest quality long life but I think i made the mistake in using onse that were from a cooler climate than australia

Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 ARC
    While you are thinking about what is happening, do a compression check on all 4 cylinders.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 5 door
    When you say "the balloon rises on top of the oil filler" I'm assuming you mean you have positive crankcase pressure at idle.

It is possible that the pipes inside the cam cover are blocked. When I was rebuilding my 2.3 I found the pipes in the cam cover totally blocked. I used a torch to heat them and then pushed out the crud with compressed air. Solvent wouldn't budge that crap.