Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2005 9-5, 2007 9-5

Has anyone used the Spiral Audio IX-SA001 Radio Interface module?

I am working to upgrade the factory stereo in my 2007 Saab 9-5 and I'm using a kit which includes the Spiral Audio IX-SA001 interface.

This interface plugs right into the factory plugs. The main wires it's using (other than the speaker wires) are the constant positive, constant ground and the can-bus (GMLAN1) wire.

The IX-SA001 module is supposed to use the can-bus wire to decide when to turn on an output lead that it has, which is equivalent to an ignition switch positive power.

I got it all wired up and it didn't work. I have an RMA to exchange the device since it appears to be defective. In my searching I came across this page http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=84 which was really interesting.

In post #5, nordwulf, describes how he had to solder in a resistor between two of the leads in order to program the interface module that he was using.

I'm wondering if anyone has used this Spiral Audio IX-SA001 module before and if I need to also wire in a resistor? Or if there are any hints or tips that might help me get this up and going.

Of course, the unit could actually be defective, and I will know once I receive the new one. My fear is I'll receive the new module and it will also not work...

Thanks for any help you might offer!
    Scott

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '97 900 Talladega, '07 9-5
    Any update here? I am going through the same battle. I've RMA'd two interfaces, waiting for my 3rd. I am starting to think our model year just is not supported by the interface. I popped the cover off it and saw that it actually a Connects2 interface. Their website says 08+ 9-5...

Saab(s)
    2005 9-5, 2007 9-5
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP View Post
    Any update here? I am going through the same battle. I've RMA'd two interfaces, waiting for my 3rd. I am starting to think our model year just is not supported by the interface. I popped the cover off it and saw that it actually a Connects2 interface. Their website says 08+ 9-5...
    Sorry for the delay. I was never able to get the Spiral Audio IX-SA001 / Connects2 CTSSA001.2 devices to work. I tried two different units and neither one worked. I also opened a ticket with Connects2 and while they were very good about responding, they never did offer any beneficial information...

I ended up keeping the mounting bracket and antenna adapter and sending the IX-SA001 unit back. The company was very good about refunding the purchase price minus the items that I kept. Overall, even though the device didn't work, my experience with them was very good.

I used the PAC SWI-RC module, even though their website only shows it's compatible to 2005. I used this page for hints on how to run the wire and which wires to hook to: https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/s...d.php?t=716844

Then I ran a wire to the headlights for the accessory power: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?...full=1#post317

And, since my car has the auto-dimming rear-view, I ran a wire to the right hand A piller for the reverse switch: http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/...2001-saab-9-5/ (mine is a 2007 9-5 but this still applied)

Lastly, I used the cigarette lighter lighting wire to control the auto dimming feature of the radio.

I haven't hooked up the parking brake wiring or the VSS lead yet.

My speakers are picking up a pretty bad humm from the amplifier. I tested it by just running a jumper between 12+ to the amplifier on lead and the humming started. This was without any stereo or ground isolation installed...although neither of those made it any better. I'm still working on figuring out this one.

One last thought is with this set up the stereo works with the key in the off position - which I like. The steering wheel controls do not work unless the key is in the on position. Normally this wouldn't matter, but I just wanted to point it out so you wouldn't waste time tracking down a "problem" that doesn't exist (like I did :-))

Good luck!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    That's very helpful, thanks Scott. I actually asked Spiral to look back in their ticket history for your ticket to see what the outcome was.
    I was hoping to avoid running separate wires for VSS, reverse, power, dimmer, and parking brake.

And really the only question is VSS if I were to run individual wires. It appears as though there is no longer a VSS wire in the cabin and one would have to tap into the ABS module.
    Which may make it not worth it.

I have the Axxess SWC interface that I guess I will try.

What did you end up doing for the speakers?
    Did you use the amplified output from the headunit?
    Or did you use the pre-outs?
    Did you use any device in either scenario to "tune" the signal?

Saab(s)
    2005 9-5, 2007 9-5
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP View Post
    What did you end up doing for the speakers?
    Did you use the amplified output from the headunit?
    Or did you use the pre-outs?
    Did you use any device in either scenario to "tune" the signal?
    I'm actually still working on that... Luckily I also have a 2005 9-5 that I'm driving at the moment. In the 2007, everything is hooked up except the amplifier. My plan was to use the pre-outs from the head unit to the amplifier and then leave everything else stock. The problem I'm having is there is a horrible hum from the amplifier when I do this. My guess is it has to do with the fact that Saab used balanced leads from the stock head unit but mine is unbalanced. The problem I had when I ran the amplified leads is the volume was WAY to loud. I could try a line-level convertor but I'm not sure that would help at all.

I did get two decent quality RCA cables and plan on running them to the amplifier and then splicing into the input there. It may sound better, it may sound worse, or it may not change a thing...I don't know yet :-) My hope is I can isolate the RCA cables from whatever is causing the hum and that might help. The ground loop isolators I tried didn't make any difference at all.

Right now my head unit won't have GPS and I plan on using Android Auto instead. I may want to add it later though (it's a Pioneer NEX 4400) and if I do I'd want to run the VSS lead as well. If you figure anything out about that, please post it here (or really anywhere google indexes) as I'd love to see what you find.

Thanks!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    I've got the NEX4400 as well. I've got some ground loop isolators I was going to try. Otherwise I had intended on picking up the unbalanced to balanced converters on eBay. I hope to get it all together this weekend, fingers crossed. I will certainly update with what I do.

Saab(s)
    2005 9-5, 2007 9-5
    Cool! It seems like a really nice deck, at least as far as I've seen.

Two things I've learned about it from Avic411.com (a site specifically about Pioneer head units). First, there is a firmware update for the NEX4400, taking it to version 1.1 from 1.0 (at least for mine). That opens a way to press the lower left corner of the screen for 10 seconds and change an internal setting. According to what I've read this will allow you to view video while moving....although that seems REALLY unsafe, so use at your own peril. Once I turned that setting on I am having problems using Android Auto, so I'm still working on that....

The second is they have really creative people that create custom boot/background images. For Saabs there are fewer choices but I am using this picture from their site as my boot image...and I really like it :-)

Name:  post-131961-0-86282200-1439366048.jpeg
Views: 658
Size:  86.4 KB

Geoffrey Storey
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-3 viggen convertible

I have that on mine.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by scott47 View Post

Name:  post-131961-0-86282200-1439366048.jpeg
Views: 658
Size:  86.4 KB
    I have that as the splash screen on my main display and this.
    Name:  Saab HUD_M.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  35.4 KB

On the Head up display

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Just wanted to provide an update.
    The Spiral Audio IX-SA001(Connects2) was a no go.
    I tried the Axxess SWC next, and that didn't work either.

I ended up wiring in reverse, accessory power, and dimmer directly to existing circuits.
    So the only think missing was VSS.

I decided to try the Incartec 29-US-050-SAAB interface.
    For the 9-5 it only supports SWC, accessory power, handbrake, and VSS.
    Kind of an expensive test as its only available in Europe.

The Incartec interface along with some ground loop isolators has the stereo functioning to the level I had expected.
    I have no hum or feedback noise. Wrangling all those wires and modules into the dash was a nightmare though!