Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)

Saab 9-5 (2004) – Power steering oil leak?

Car Model Saab 9-5 (9600)
    Body shape 4-Doors
    Model year 2005
    Factory code 3
    Engine type B205E
    Transmission type 5-step-automatic

The oil level in my powered steering is almost at the minus level. As this is a closed system I would think there is a (small) leak somewhere. Does anybody know where those lines run in the engine compartment? Or better still have a drawing of it? I want to check if somewhere a hose or a connection is sweating.

Thanks.

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Get under the car and look for the large black hose(s). The will run under and up under the notor. The leask is usually art the compression fitting. It is very complicated to replace and the hose is expensive. Not for the average do it your self type. Figure arond 400.USD to replace. you local garage can quicly determine which hose to replace.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    hi Mike, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brennan View Post
    Get under the car and look for the large black hose(s). The will run under and up under the notor. The leask is usually art the compression fitting. It is very complicated to replace and the hose is expensive. Not for the average do it your self type. Figure arond 400.USD to replace. you local garage can quicly determine which hose to replace.
    Good info as to where to look. I have a Bridge in the workshop tomorrow so will do an inspection. US 400 is not a bargain. I am in shock.

I have the same year and motor as you, my leak was at the power steering front hose closest to the radiator. if you decide to replace it make sure to buy the kit from eeuroparts, its a 2 pc hose and if like mine you can't separate without breaking. like the previous response, its a job to replace, make sure you have good set of tools and plenty of time. good luck.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 5 door
    The most common power steering failure is the return line, which is not a high pressure line. You can usually replace this with bulk hose for chump change. if you need pressure lines, EEuroparts has a full pressure line kit for about $130. It's not particularly difficult to replace them -- patience is the most necessary resource.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Thanks both for responding.

I was under the car yesterday and could find nothing. there again I am not sure sometimes as to where to look as I could not follow all the lines.

The plan is now to top up and see how quick I loose fluid. Than, if it goes down, pop in to a still existing Saab workshop (unfortunately 50 miles away) and have them look. They might be faster in finding it as they know where to look. Should there be a leak they can also quote as it might, in the end, be easier for them to do, as I have no lift or pit to work from and will need to rent space in a DIY garage for the job.

any other tips are appreciated of course.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    the plan is te following. I am going to top up the oil in the power steering. According to the manual it should be CHF11S. However local auto part shop said he cannot do anything with that number.

Anybody know what oil to use?

I can get Valvoline SYNpower full synthetic Power Steering Fluid, that according to a different shop is the same. Anybody know if this is so?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 2.3t
    Google CHF11S Power Steering Fluid. You'll find a number of suppliers. It's expensive though(about 3-4x price of regular fluid).

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 5 door
    Pentosin CHF 11S -- not hard to find, I can buy it at my local NAPA in my tiny town of 1,000 people. Your local auto parts shop is not winning.

If they can't get their act together, it's $20 from Amazon in 2 days.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Thanks for the replies folks. Going to mailorder it.