Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    None yet

Potential new owner looking for some coaching on parts availability

Good morning, and thanks in advance for the help and coaching. After being interested in these for ever I’ve decided that I’m ready to bring one into the stable and I am hoping to get a crash course from you all on dues in don’ts, including some expectation setting on parts availability etc.

i’ve had a number of British sports cars and a couple German ones as well and you couldn’t basically build an entirely new car from a catalog, I don’t expect that will be the case here but I am wondering how readily available all the mechanical bits are? I believe that interior parts will likely be harder to source than mechanical?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdskip View Post
    Good morning, and thanks in advance for the help and coaching. After being interested in these for ever I’ve decided that I’m ready to bring one into the stable and I am hoping to get a crash course from you all on dues in don’ts, including some expectation setting on parts availability etc.

i’ve had a number of British sports cars and a couple German ones as well and you couldn’t basically build an entirely new car from a catalog, I don’t expect that will be the case here but I am wondering how readily available all the mechanical bits are? I believe that interior parts will likely be harder to source than mechanical?
    Hard question to answer without knowing which Saab you may be considering. Finding mechanical parts for an older Saab isn't much different than finding parts for any other vintage collectable. Finding affordable parts can be a challenge requiring a considerable amount of research to cross reference part numbers for new manufacture availability and some parts are Saab only. Thanks to the proliferation of 3D printing and do it yourself mold making kits any part you can find to copy is yours to keep. Electronic modules are a whole different story.

Saab(s)
    None yet
    Good morning and thanks for the fast response. I am looking at a 1971 Saab 99, it’s Charlie’s car up in Idaho ( A.k.a. Gilbert grape ).

https://charliesbarn.wordpress.com/2.../saab-stories/