Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 2.3T Edna, 9-3 2.0 convertible '99, R.I.P 9-3 1.9 '04

Saab 9-5 2 "Edna" '06 - heating issues

Hi everyone!

Firstly, as a new member I would say hello to all of you!

I have been reading your forum many times as I've been servicing all my Saabs by myself.
    It comes to the point where I have the issue and can't find right solution, so let me ask you,
    maybe someone had similar problem.

The issue is related to heating.

At the beginning, the heating problem was starting after about 30 minutes drive, the cold air started blowing from vents, even that
    temp was set to 19'C. I have been trying to increase temp, nothing helped ( I don't remember if I have been setting value to max )

I didn't bother me too much as I`m doing trips between 20-30 minutes long so it was fine for about 2-3 months.

Recently the issue has developed to the next stage. The heating stopped working from very beginning. Now it started bothering me,
    especially that I have 1000 miles trip soon.

What I have noticed currently:
    when I`ll set max temp on knob the air is very hot, but if I will turn it just one degree lower it's not hot any more, it's not even warm,
    but it's not freezing cold.

When I will set temp to min it is freezing cold. Anything between min and max is... various levels of cold, but never freezing cold or warm.

---
    Fan works well, distribution of air as well, only the problem with temperature.
    So, it looks like heating matrix is working fine. Just in case I have replaced thermostat and coolant antifreeze, just in case - it was old so it was
    a good time anyway. It didn't help in any way as I have expected.

I have ordered the ACC control panel, it's on the way.
    I have also ordered the light map panel as there is so far I understand the cabin temp sensor - I have received that today, however it came from
    old 9-5 model and there is a different sensor, I`m not sure if there is a good idea to use it. I'll check today if the connection and resistance is same.
    Also I have read about solar sensor, I was thinking about replacing that and... I don't know if that can be related but just few days ago the ambient
    temperature value shown on SID is 50'C every time I do start my car - that happened just few days ago when I've been trying to open SID by
    pressing brake pedal, src and play buttons ( than after I have learned more and now I know that with standard map I can't access open SID ).

It's a bit tricky with this model as settings are very limited - comparing to older Saabs.

Lads, I'll be glad for any clues - I cannot imagine driving through Europe with either too hot or too low temp. At this moment I`m trying to mix temps,
    I`m setting max temp at passenger and 26'C at driver side and it is somehow ok on short trips - with hat and with no passenger.

Take care!
    Nicholas

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Your thread was stuck in the moderation queue but it is approved and visible now.

Welcome to SaabWorld!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Just a quick update.

I have checked the cabin temp sensor, that one that came from old 9-5 looks like it has been painted, but it has excactly the same number comparing to sensor that is fitted in mine car - and not painted ( glass looking sensor ). I have compared the resistance of both of them and its same, so I presume that both are in good condition. I have fitted mine back. I have checked the solar sensor, I have taken measurements from it, it was 85k Ohm and 42.5k Ohm, but I haven't got any to compare. I have written the model and measurements and fitted it back. To my surprise, after that I had a short trip and... it seems that the warm air started blowing from vents when temp was set to somewhere between 20-25'C. Seems ok, I`ll have longer journey tomorrow so hopefully it will be working fine. Also, I have ordered the new ambient sensor as SID still shows 50'C of outdoor temperature.

BTW, once I was getting to cabin sensor I was able to fix the loose reading lamp and replace the faulty bulb of "fasten seatbelt" sign. Little things but makes big difference

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    ACC calibrated (from user side, by pressing combination of buttons, it has shown notification of starting calibration, didnt show anything to confirm that it was done, but I do presume its ok).
    Its 2006, 2.3T 185BHP, auto.

I was driving about 25minutes at morning, heating has been working fine - even the outside temp seems to be correct ( 3'C ) - I have the new sensor on the way so I will replace it anyway.
    I`ll take her for a longer drive today as previously heating been working fine at the beginning than I was loosing heating after 30-40 minutes drive. Will update.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    After the new facelift theses codes are stored in the SID so you need a Tech II for having them ...

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    The heating issue firstly gone for few days than came back - I have finally fitted new ambient temp sensor and so far so good!
    Tonight I`ll cover 1000 miles so hopefully it`s gone permanently.

So far I have noticed it can be a good idea to finally purchase Tech II as I just bought another SAAB 9-5 facelift, so that could
    make life easier.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.3T Stage 3
    It cold be the outside temp sensor which in mounted in the lower part of the front bumper cover. I had similar symptoms when mine failed. The sensor fails and sends an outside air temp of -40C or +50C which will really interfere with the interior heating/cooling function.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 arc
    Omg you are spending alot of money on things that usually never have an issue check your heater core if no problems there then check/ change your heater bypass valve (most likely the problem) might be getting stuck open and not let coolant stay in your core long enough to keep you warm

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggsjam21 View Post
    Omg you are spending alot of money on things that usually never have an issue check your heater core if no problems there then check/ change your heater bypass valve (most likely the problem) might be getting stuck open and not let coolant stay in your core long enough to keep you warm
    The issue was the ambient temp sensors, I have covered already approx 5000 miles and no more issues