Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero

Dragging/scratching/"skretching" sound after CV axle replacement

Good evening all,

I just replaced the wheel hub, cv axle, and axle seal on the driver side of my 2002 9-5 Aero. It started with a faulty wheel hub, as soon as I neared the completion of the task, the axle seal seemed to begin leaking. So I had to get a new axle seal and also got a new axle.

Here are the potential issues:

• I, unfortunately, could not open the level hole on the manual transmission, so I put 1.9L of manual transmission fluid into the transmission.
    • The plating behind the rotor, that I assume keeps brake dust off things, was accidentally slightly bent prior to putting the rotor back on. I attempted rebending it and putting it back in the car.
    • I believe the axle seal was put on as far as I could put it on, and I lightly hammered the cv axle into the seal such that I couldn't pull it back out with my hands.
    • The only other issue during re-assembly was getting the third of three bolts fully back into the ball joint. Currently, there are two seated correctly and one, flipped over, with a light bit of threading into the nut, which is on the incorrect side of the control arm.

After re-installation, I checked to make sure no fluid was leaking, ran the car, put it in gear, and still no leaking.

I pull out of my driveway fine, in reverse. No sounds. Anywhere above 10mph and there is a dragging, scratching, rotating sound coming from the left wheel bay. Is it the plate behind the rotor, not enough manual trans fluid, an improper seating of the cv axle?

If it's the plate behind the brake rotor, is that dangerous? It's not one continuous drag, but sounds as if it hits various peaks and valleys in the sound.

I was planning on driving the car up to northern California tomorrow, however, now, if I go, will take my sister's, less exciting, car.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by yazdo View Post

Here are the potential issues:

• The only other issue during re-assembly was getting the third of three bolts fully back into the ball joint. Currently, there are two seated correctly and one, flipped over, with a light bit of threading into the nut, which is on the incorrect side of the control arm.

If it's the plate behind the brake rotor, is that dangerous? It's not one continuous drag, but sounds as if it hits various peaks and valleys in the sound.

Dangerous, of course its DANGEROUS!!!!!

Manufactures don't spend money on hardened bolts without good cause and there is good reason for bolt size, length and torque specs. Put the thing back together the way it was built. This is steering and it's on the side that can pull you head on into oncoming traffic.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    Yea, I mean, the car has been in the garage since the drive around the block. I knew I would be doing this job again to remove the bent plate. I just wanted someone to tell me, "No worries, drive your car dangerously" after working on the car for so long, which would have been the incorrect advice anyways.

I will be going back to remove the plating behind the rotor, and then see if the cv axle is in fact, fully seated sometime next week. F the cv axle.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    I wanted to give you all an update. After the rotor was rubbing against the rotor cover, I had to face the universe and just get the job finished. So, even though the cv axle job took me, overall, a month to complete, I had to do it again.

The second time the job was a lot quicker. Removed that rotor cover and then got to that last ball joint bolt. I could not get get that f'ing thing in. I ended up grinding down a portion of the built in washer portion. It works.

I am going to continue this discussion in the garage threads. I was rambling.