Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2002 9-3

Major oil leak after changing crankshaft seal and oil pump housing o-ring

I have an '02 9-3 SE 2.0L automatic with approximately $128K. Had a steady oil leak coming from the oil pump housing/cover. Replaced o-ring and front crank shaft seal and now when I start the car, oil is pouring out from the same area. When I reinstalled the harmonic balancer and pulley cover, I made sure to align the key on the balancer with the crankshaft however, the balancer only goes on the key a little bit and based on the length of the female groove on the balancer, it seems like the key on the crankshaft should seat further up the balancer. I took the balancer off twice to ensure I had it lined up properly and had it pushed back up against the oil pump cover plate as far as possible. I also ensured I lined up the arrows on the oil pump housing. To get the 27mm pulley bolt off, I used an air impact wrench. Before tightening that bolt back up with the impact, I tightened it with my hand first to ensure it was seated properly. I'm wondering if the crankshaft should be protruding further out so the balancer can fit all the way on the key. (Maybe when I used the impact to get the 27mm bolt off, it turned the crankshaft counterclockwise so it's not out far enough).The other thought I had was that maybe the balancer has been compromised but even if it was, I don't know how that would cause an oil leak. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Saab(s)
    2002 9-3
    For those that are interested, I solved this issue. The key was bent or flaired out a little bit preventing the balancer from seating properly. I filed down the end of the key and was then able to seat the balancer all the way back flush against the oil pump housing.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Viggen Convertible
    Ouch! It's always something simple that you would least suspect.