Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-3 Aero Convert

Why not Dexron VI ATF

Nordwulf (Excellent tutorial on ATF fluid change-thanks.) - and other Saab enthusiasts - recommend Dexron III (mineral based) ATF for my 1999 9-5 SE w/ 4spd AT (104K mi).

Why not use improved, (allegedly) backward compatible, synthetic Dexron VI? I read glowing reviews from most users. Is it because the transmission started out with mineral oil based ATF and by switching to synthetic I risk leaks?

Is a transmission flush recommended on a car with over 100K mi? Considering BG Transmission Service. Thoughts, suggestions, snide remarks?

"Love the Saab"
    Last edited by Polestar; 27 March 2019 at 21:57.

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    GM stopped licensing the name Dexron-III to oil blenders a decade or more ago, so there are no ATF products available with Dexron-III on their lable. However, there are ATF products available with names such as MD3 which is a code for Mercon/Dexron-III which were Ford's and GM's names for the same fluid. I always used a MD3 labeled product in the transmission of my old 2000 9-5 after GM stopped licensing the name - for two reasons.
    1) It was usually much cheaper than the Dexron-VI fluids.
    2) I am just stubborn like that.

Truthfully, there is nothing wrong with using Dexron-VI in your transmission. In fact, it was the SAAB/GM recommended fluid back in the day.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-3 Aero Convert
    Thanks MI-Roger. Realize now should have checked all the posts in the Nordwulf's tutorial.
    Decided on drain and fill X3 (no-flush at this time) with Chevron/ Havoline MD-3. Chev MD-3 for GM transmissions prior to 2006 and compatible with Dexron III.
    Last edited by Polestar; 03 April 2019 at 16:58.