Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 93 estate

Cluster Display

Hi all,

This is my first time posting on the forum as i have recently purchased my first Saab. Its a 2008 93 estate 2.0t. I'm finding lots of great information on here so thank you the that.

I do however have a sneaky suspicion that the dealer i purchased it from may have disabled the engine warning light. Is this something that can be done? The light was on when i test drove the car and the agreement was he would sort the problem, the light is now off but also doesn't come on when i turn the ignition on.
    I have found the centre air vent flaps all in the glove box along with some of the switch panel parts (both of which need removing to access the instrument cluster)

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Karl

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    I can't speak to the ethics of the auto dealers on your side of the ocean, but I can say that over the years I have noticed several less than ethical dealers operating on my side of the pond and yes, this display can be disabled. A quick check with a cheap code reader will tell you if your sneaky suspicion is correct.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 93 estate
    Thanks Digger,
    A little bit of further investigation found a piece of paper stuffed over the engine warning light. Now with all evidence in hand looks like a Fraud investigation is being started by trading standards. Amazingly he is still denying it was him. You should hear the initial phone call recording................its hilarious.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    Do you have a Saab Service Center available to you? The two Saab Service Centers I use in Florida and Texas warranty their work for 2 years with Orio original parts. I never worry about unnecessary work being performed or not being performed. Has never happened.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Karl, that is hilarious, having grown up in a family filled with car dealers, paper over the light is, of the multiple ways to cancel the check engine light, the funniest, dumbest way possible to perpetrate this fraud. If my dad, or any of his car humping cousins were still alive, they would die laughing at this one. Would love to hear that recording after they hang the bloke.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by karlos1981 View Post
    Thanks Digger,
    A little bit of further investigation found a piece of paper stuffed over the engine warning light. Now with all evidence in hand looks like a Fraud investigation is being started by trading standards. Amazingly he is still denying it was him. You should hear the initial phone call recording................its hilarious.
    Doesn't he realise that the fault codes will still be accessible via the OBD connector? I hope you get a good outcome from this, and soon.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    I see you are in Essex, you might like to contact Abbott Saab http://www.abbottsaab.com/ who should be able to sort things out properly for you.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 93 estate
    Spoke to the guys at abbott saab today, what a lovely helpful bunch. The whole fraud dealer saga is not in full swing with trading standards as they refuse to pay to have the vehicle fixed so did it myself and claiming damages back in court. Ill keep you all up to date with the outcome.

All other problems are basically now sorted with the exception of this very slow idle. Sits nicely at about 750rpm for 10-15 seconds then drops to about 400rpm feels like its gonna stall. The guys at Abbottsaab are gonna plug in a tech2 and make sure its running the latest update to code. fingers crossed.