Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 wagon

First time Saab owner

Hello everyone, a few days ago I purchased my first Saab while trying to find a replacement for my fantastic but soulless Honda CR-V. I am no stranger to European cars, I’ve had my fair share of Audi’s, VW’s and Mercedes over the past 25 years but never anything Swedish. I was pleasantly surprised during the test drive, the car was in great shape and the price was right so I handed the gentlemen a hand full of cash and tow dollyed it home.
    So far so good, the exterior is beautiful, a few cosmetic issues typical of a 13 year old car but nothing major.
    Mechanical issues found so far:

AC doesn’t work, 30psi suction, 225psi discharge at 68F ambient temp so looks like an expansion valve replacement is in my future.

ABS/traction light on due to a broken reluctor ring.

Serpentine belt toast as well as pulleys.

That’s really it, drives excellent, good power, no vibrations.

I am looking forward to turning wrenches on this car and learn some new tricks.

The car has 108,000 miles on it, I’m assuming the trans fluid should be replaced. How long do the water pumps last? Any other service items I should plan on doing?

Thanks in advance,

Jesse

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Hello and welcome. I changed the ATF on my 9-5 regularly as it was pretty easy to do. It is more difficult on the 2006+ models because they removed the dipstick some time during the model year. More details in this thread: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=474

If you don't know much about the service history, I would replace air filter, engine oil/filter (use full synthetic), cabin filter and fuel filter if your 9-5 has one. Spark plugs are a good idea as well and you may have to replace the Direct Ignition Cassette (DIC) sooner or later around this mileage. Definitely do the belts and pulleys around this mileage if there is no record of it being done recently.

It's hard to predict how long a coolant pump will last. I replaced mine when it started to leak so it didn't fail completely. Changing the coolant is a good idea, nothing better than all fresh fluids. Most of the tutorials can be found through this index thread: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=578

The service schedule can be found in the owners manual or can be found here: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=578

If you haven't done so already, download the WIS for most repair instructions and technical details: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=33310

Pictures are always appreciated.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 wagon
    Hello and thank you for the info.

There wasn't much on the service history side, only what the p/o told me he replaced. He did the air filter, ignition cassette, mass air flow sensor and did oil changes every 5k with synthetic 5w40 but with a cheapo fram filter, I usually use Mann, Bosch or Mobil 1, depending on the deal I can find.

I ordered a bunch of stuff yesterday and hope to do some wrenching this weekend, at least the reluctor ring and noisy wheel bearing. I also ordered ac O-rings, expansion valve, Graf water pump and serpentine belt and pulley.

Mine is a 2006 model year, it does have a trans oil dip-stick so I lucked out there, after doing a trans fluid flush on a B5 Passat without a dip-stick I really appreciate not having to fill from under the car with a pump.

Name:  Saab.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  88.2 KB

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-3 Aero Convert
    JMILL: Great looking Saab. About 4 months ago I picked up a 1999 9-5 SE for a commuter car. Had 100Kmi., one owner, and lightly used. Great acquisition for me. I've long been a fan of the European driving dynamics and the Saab 9-5 does not disappoint. Though it has a GM2900 platform, still European as it was developed by GM German subsidiary Opel. As you'll find out, parts are still relatively easy to find.
    Last edited by Polestar; 23 April 2019 at 23:20.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 wagon
    Hello, Thanks!! According to the CARFAX this one had the same owner for 11 years and 87,000 miles.

I am quite impressed with the handling, and it definitely feels European. It will be a good replacement for a CRV, and will help get rid of a car payment. The Honda engine is quite loud under load, the Saab engine is whisper quiet even under boost, actually the Honda engine is one of the loudest gassers I've ever owned.

I am also quite impressed with the lack of rust, this car was bought new in New York state and has remained here its entire life, 13 winters of salt and the body is corrosion free, typical rust underneath but the body has held up well. Paint is in need of a clay bar to remove some oxidation and after a good buff it should really shine.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    If you change the poly V belt (serpentine belt) replace the idlers, you may already include this as pulleys, a question of terminology. As Frank has already suggested download WIS and EPC from the link here http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=33310.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 wagon
    I’m doing the belt, idlers and tensioner, they look like they’ve never been touched and the tensioner bounces around like crazy and rattles, I’m just glad it’s the tensioner and not the timing chain making all the noise, if I relieve the tension a little bit it quiets right down. I’m hoping the parts arrive by the weekend🤞