Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    08 9-3 Convertible

Windows & soft-top pausing

I have a 08 9-3 Convertible with an electrical gremlin or two. It's got low miles and I purchased it just a couple weeks ago after I put a ton of miles on a previous 04 Convertible.

When I press the windows-down button for any window it will go partially down a few inches and pause for a half-second before continuing. It does this 4-5 times before finally putting the windows down. I just noticed this problem and I don't think it was happening when I bought the car.

Possibly related: the soft top also pauses as it is going down/up and throws a "Manual Operation Only" message. If I keep pressing the down button it will eventually go all the way down. I have checked all the wires for nicks and to make sure every sensor is in its proper spot. It has a new pump, switch, and STC. Pump fluid is fine and no hydraulic leaks. I'm convinced that I must have a bad sensor.

I'm taking it to a dealer several hours away from me on Friday but thought I'd ask for advice here before I dump a couple hundred $ trying to track this down. Has anybody seen anything like this? Almost feels like my electrical power is slightly intermittent. Battery is fine and terminals are in new condition. I'm pretty handy and have a multi-meter but don't really even know where to go next. I cherish my Saabs and don't ignore any problems so please don't suggest that. Thanks!

Chris

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    It is common for an older convertible that sits for 6 months of the year to have problems like this and the newest Saab convertible is now 7 years old. Have had vintage convertibles and problems like this for over 20 years with all but one of the convertibles I've owned and that one was a 40 year old MG with wind up windows and an assemble it yourself top.

Give it a week of daily use several times a day before you run off to the service center. This sounds like your average slimy latching contact that makes this whole process automatic. Holding the button until the cycle is complete is the best way to get these things working and they usually clean themselves with use.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    08 9-3 Convertible
    Spent a couple hours at the dealer. They allowed me to actually work with the mechanic as he was troubleshooting which was awesome.

The soft top problem appears to be a bad sensor on the left side 6th bow. One side sensor shows the sensor closed and the left side shows open. A person could never find this without a tech 2. $35 part and huge time savings. Anybody know a contortionist who wants to help me change it out when it arrives?

He also helped me diagnose a bad wire to my secondary air pump and a bad brake booster check valve. Best $170 I’ve ever spent.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by csarneson View Post
    Spent a couple hours at the dealer. They allowed me to actually work with the mechanic as he was troubleshooting which was awesome.

The soft top problem appears to be a bad sensor on the left side 6th bow. One side sensor shows the sensor closed and the left side shows open. A person could never find this without a tech 2. $35 part and huge time savings. Anybody know a contortionist who wants to help me change it out when it arrives?

He also helped me diagnose a bad wire to my secondary air pump and a bad brake booster check valve. Best $170 I’ve ever spent.
    Sounds like money well spent, don't know a contortionist in Wyoming, but replacing the sensor means topping off the reservoir and Walmart has the best price for very small amounts, or a case of small bottles delivered to your door if you need several liters at a time.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    08 9-3 Convertible
    Actually removing the sensor isn't bad at all if you get the top in the right position. I have a new sensor on order. I took the old sensor out and tested it to see if maybe a wire was broken but it's just dead.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    07 9-3 2.0t convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by csarneson View Post

Where did you find the sensor for $35? I’m thinking I have the same problem but can only find replacements for $200+.

Saab(s)
    2008 Aero Nordic VT Tune, 2005 ARC convertible.

Sixth Bow Switch

Quote Originally Posted by Depayn View Post
    Where did you find the sensor for $35? I’m thinking I have the same problem but can only find replacements for $200+.

12833514 is the sixth bow up switch. From ESaab it's 120.00. That's the best price I've seen. I have had both switches fail in recent history. I have the 6th bow up on order. -Keith