Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2003 9-3

2003 9-3 no sound, radio doesn't start, NOT APM1, ECU, or ICM2

Hi Saab Folks!

I have been a longtime lurker and found many useful clues about fixing my car here. It is a 2003 9-3 Linear.

A few weeks ago I had an emergency situation where I had no choice but to jump the car and then replace the battery. Since then, I have had no sound at all. Not the turn signals (though they still work, just no sound), the chimes when the car turns on, and the radio doesn't even turn on at all.

I pulled and checked every single fuse in all three boxes, nothing.

I figured it was the notorious AMP1 under the driver's seat, so I replaced that. Everything is still out.

So I replaced the ECU, still out. Finally I replaced the ICM2, but still nothing.

Now I am at a loss. Fortunately none of these pieces was too expensive, but I really have no idea what to try next. Would anyone here have a hint for me?

Thanks in advance!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Just because you replaced the amp doesn't mean you replaced it with a good one. As you now have 2 amp 1's might as well ruin one to find out if you have 2 bad amps. Open up the box and grab hold of the fiber lines where they plug into the shielded card and pluck them from their sockets, then but the two line ends together inside a piece of vacuum hose, plug the amp back into the system and see if you get chimes and turn signal noise, if you do you have two bad amp 1's. If you don't you are going to need some tech 2 help.

Saab(s)
    2003 9-3
    Thanks, you are right that the pieces could be bad. I made a fiber optic bypass and swapped out the amps again. Still nothing. I tried every combination of new and old and bypassed fiber optic, and still nothing. So I am stuck at this point.

What would I be looking for with a Tech2? Just general diagnostics, or is there a specific reset I would need to do?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmillco View Post
    Thanks, you are right that the pieces could be bad. I made a fiber optic bypass and swapped out the amps again. Still nothing. I tried every combination of new and old and bypassed fiber optic, and still nothing. So I am stuck at this point.

What would I be looking for with a Tech2? Just general diagnostics, or is there a specific reset I would need to do?
    While you have a Tech 2 hooked in General Diagnostics is always a good idea. For your problem reset and test the BUS line, both I and O. Make sure that everything that can talk is talking.

Saab(s)
    9-3 ARC Convertible
    My radio is gone.... in addition to my convertible top system that I converted to a manual top. So, here is my idea.... I can can disconnect the speakers and run new wires. My thought is to find a mini amp that will run off the lighter and I can directly wire the speakers to it and use my phone either with a AUX cord or Bluetooth. Sounds crazy but I think it might work. My other thought is is to wire all four speakers to an aux cord and just use the phone....

I was going to replace my SAAB with a different convertible. But there really is nothing that compares to the speed, the style and the room. Yea. BMW, Mercedes... but same type of car with expensive problems.
    This is not my daily driver so I have not been shy of experimenting... 3-D printed a plastic piece that would have cost me $80 for nothing.

Does anyone think this might work? Is there a better way. I can just throw of speaker in the car and go as is. But, I really like to have the surround sound with the car speakers....

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditto05S View Post
    My radio is gone.... in addition to my convertible top system that I converted to a manual top. So, here is my idea.... I can can disconnect the speakers and run new wires. My thought is to find a mini amp that will run off the lighter and I can directly wire the speakers to it and use my phone either with a AUX cord or Bluetooth. Sounds crazy but I think it might work. My other thought is is to wire all four speakers to an aux cord and just use the phone....

I was going to replace my SAAB with a different convertible. But there really is nothing that compares to the speed, the style and the room. Yea. BMW, Mercedes... but same type of car with expensive problems.
    This is not my daily driver so I have not been shy of experimenting... 3-D printed a plastic piece that would have cost me $80 for nothing.

Does anyone think this might work? Is there a better way. I can just throw of speaker in the car and go as is. But, I really like to have the surround sound with the car speakers....
    There were only 2 Saab wagons for sale within 200 miles when I bought my Sportcombi and I had a choice between a 2004 9-5 with a salvage title and a 9-3 with clean title and a phone button on the radio. I have wanted to get rid of the radio in my 9-3 since the day I learned that it will never interface with my phone and I have given this conversion a good 75 to 100 hours of thought and research. Yes it can be done and you have a choice between ripping the car apart and designing your own electrical interface, or ripping the car apart and converting to 2007 or newer wiring. There is no easy way to do this.

Saab(s)
    9-3 Aero convertible
    Hey mcmillco, did you ever get your problem fixed? I came here with the same issue! My problems also started after replacing the battery.

Saab(s)
    Same problem here after replacing the battery. Anyone have an idea on where to start? (Aspiring diy mechanic here, not very experienced "yet")