Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon

Central lock not working

Im new to these forums as I just bought my first Saab. Its a 1999 9-5 wagon with 125k miles. This is my new "project" (as the wife likes to put it) to keep me busy and out of trouble. There are going to be many queations as I dig deeper into this car but ill start with the first one. When I picked up the car, I noticed that the central door lock in the center console doesnt do anything. The key fob also didn't do anything. I dis just put in a new battery follow g the advice of these forums and reading an owners manual that I was able to download for a 2000 9-5. Key fob works as well as using the key in the door. However the central locking button in console still doesn't work and the back hatch won't unlock using the key in the door or the fob.
    Many of the buttons do feel sticky as if something had spilled or spattered into them so it may just be an issue with the switch itself, or maybe it could be tied into the back hatch not working? I can manually lock and unlock the hatch from I side the vehicle.
    Only background I have on the vehicle is that it sat in a towing and recovery lot for over 8 months and the owner of the towing company that sold me the car had just put in a new battery.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 2.3t sw vector 185cv 2003
    Fuses and connections checked?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon
    I havent torn into it just yet but I did check the fuses. Only the rear hatch won't unlock or lock from the key fob or from turning the key in the door. There is a noise from it trying to unlock but it doesn't physically lock/unlock. I figure there is something loose in the hatch as the car thinks that the hatch is opened when it clearly isn't. My concern is with the central lock switch in the console by the gear shift that is totally useless at the moment.
    As it currently stands, I consider it a cosmetic issue and getting the car to run better is a bigger issue. I'm just trying to research what to look for when I decide to tackle that aspect.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Sounds like the lock motor/actuator has either failed or become detached from the lock mechanism. You need to remove the trim from inside the hatch to get at the actuator.