Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 arc

Seized engine questions v6 308e

Has anyone ever had an engine seize on them??
    I have an 03 saab 9-5 v6 arc transmission swapped on it but now does NOT crank.
    Starter is deff fried but a mechanic tried to turn the crank pulley and I was told he couldnt.
    Not sure how reliable that is as I'm having someone else check it out on Monday.
    I'm just curious cuz the car doesn't start at all or turn over but when it's at the ON position with the key I can put it in drive and she rolls.
    Do the wheels lock up in D or R when it has a seized engine?? I know neutral will let it roll but I've heard that in Drive it shouldn't move...
    Let me know any info guys and any questions ask away

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggsjam21 View Post
    Has anyone ever had an engine seize on them??
    I have an 03 saab 9-5 v6 arc transmission swapped on it but now does NOT crank.
    Starter is deff fried but a mechanic tried to turn the crank pulley and I was told he couldnt.
    Not sure how reliable that is as I'm having someone else check it out on Monday.
    I'm just curious cuz the car doesn't start at all or turn over but when it's at the ON position with the key I can put it in drive and she rolls.
    Do the wheels lock up in D or R when it has a seized engine?? I know neutral will let it roll but I've heard that in Drive it shouldn't move...
    Let me know any info guys and any questions ask away
    Did the old tranny grenade? If it did was the torque converter replaced with the tranny? Were the cooling lines flushed before the new tranny went in? Did this happened immediately upon installation of the tranny?
    If the wheels locked to the engine in drive you could push start a car with an automatic transmission.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 arc
    Idk what grenade means... converter was also replaced and yes it happened after the swap coolant lines were flushed.. and wheels ARE NOT LOCKED which is why I'm asking if engine is seized

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Grenade is short for did the thing toss internal parts and grind them into tiny pieces of shrapnel.

When an engine instantly won't turn over, or low end bangs with, or shortly after any tranny replace, you don't call the motor seized or bad, until after you pull the bell housing back and look for a loose bolt jammed up where it shouldn't be.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 arc
    Sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about. I'll play the waiting game til tomorrow amd will update with actual diagnosis. Thanks for the info

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 arc
    Update torque converter was not a lined and pitched was able to free it and get the car running but trans not engaging....
    (Info from mechanic)
    Has fluid and everything seemed normal but they don't do transmission work.
    What could possibly be???
    Could it be that the car needs to be married with trans or any tech 2 work needed??

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    What could it possibly be? Take your pick and start checking.

Start simple and check the shift selector at the range switch, make sure it moves the lever.
    Check the fuses.
    Check the connections.
    Then consider the other possibilities and get the Tech 2 as your old tranny could have fried because of a bad controller, or your new torque converter is now trashed, or you gat a bad used tranny, or, or, or

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 arc
    It deff have an misaligned transmission switch would that cause to not move at all??

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    A misaligned switch can cause a lot of problems, but is it causing yours. With a front wheel drive car, lift the front wheels off the ground, start the car and shift into any gear. If your torque converter and tranny are mechanically functional your wheels should spin. Selector switch tells the computer what gear you are in, the computer tells the tranny how and when to shift.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 arc
    (Update) got a check engine light after starting and letting it run for a little bit
    P0715 trans speed sensor.....
    I'm hoping that's why I can't move in any gear... can that happen thou?? the speed sensor make the car not move in any gear??