Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon

SID questions

1999 9-5 wagon. My SID is very hard to read and I have seen many threads and DIY videis on how to change the ribbon cable inside the SID. That will be some ways down my checklist of things to do with this car I just bought. But my question is regarding date and time displayed on the SID. Every time I start the car it resets the clock to 12:00. I'm nit sure about the date as its too hard to read. I assume that this stems frim a battery of sorts to keep the time??? Or maybe it has to do with one of the terminals of the ribbon cable? I have also read how all of the electrical components are "married" to the car and I wonder if pulling and replacing the ribbon vable will cause any issues with its functionality once I put it in.

Has anyone done this repair and or had similar issues?

BTW, I'm only asking in here because I havent seen any other posts about a SID in a 9-5 in particular. I found one in a 9-3 forum but not 9-5. I'm sure theres no difference but the loss of clock memory has me wondering.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon
    Forgive my typos. I am using my phone for this and have seriously callused thumbs from years of construction work and amateur wrenching.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Fixing a ribbon cable doesn't require computer reprograming and more likely cause for loss of memory when you turn the car off is no memory voltage supplied. If you loose the clock when you turn the car off, check your fuses. If you can turn the key to on and your clock is OK and looses setting when you go to start, that's a whole different can of worms.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    If the SID is difficult to read is it because there are pixels missing or is it just dim? Pixels missing would indicate the ribbon cable but dim would be the bulbs, worth trying that first anyway.

The clock issue suggests that the permanent supply from the battery is absent, as already mentioned. I don't think the SID is married to the car so you could just fit a refurbished unit, but you do need the correct version.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon
    It is so dim that that I cannot tell if there are missing pixels or lines so I will indeed check the bulbs first. Are those application specific or would I find those at the local parts store?

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardedFool View Post
    It is so dim that that I cannot tell if there are missing pixels or lines so I will indeed check the bulbs first. Are those application specific or would I find those at the local parts store?
    Parts store I would think, I've not done any for a long time. Get them out first and you should see what you need.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon
    From some of the posts I have stumbled across about bulbs, some people have asked if its possible to change the color of the lettering in the SID. Some people have said no due to an amber film in the back. Is it possible to remove the film or change it completely to get green or plain white lettering instead of the amber color?

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardedFool View Post
    From some of the posts I have stumbled across about bulbs, some people have asked if its possible to change the color of the lettering in the SID. Some people have said no due to an amber film in the back. Is it possible to remove the film or change it completely to get green or plain white lettering instead of the amber color?
    I suspect that it isn't as easy as it sounds, also if you removed the amber colour from the SID you would also want to remove it from the ACC panel, additionally ot would then not match the other instruments, sounds more trouble than it is worth.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon
    So far all I am finding online is genuine saab parts and numbers, nothing that cross references anything. Best I have found is like $7 per bulb and the SID takes 6 bulbs. Getting kinda pricey for bulbs that small. I have found some LEDs that might work for roughly $1.75 a piece shish seems slightly more affordable considering how many bulbs are in SID and ACC alone not to mention how many orther backlit display bulbs are in the dash.

Hmmm.... Might have to sit on this one for a while before I make up my mind.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Try looking at Radio Shack, if they are still around, or Amazon but don't use the part number, just search by description, you should be able to find some priced in pennies.