Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon
    No radio shack near me anymore. And Amazon has come up empty using the original saab part number or a description. There is a local electronics store local business kinda thing and the guy there said to bring one in and he would have a look. He did say that he usually stocks bulbs that would work if I can reuse the plastic base and insert new bulbs. He seemed pretty knowledgable when I described it and sounds like he knows what he is talking about. The only question is if the bulbs he has will match whats in it. Also found a local mechanic that specializes in Saabs and he said that if I can find them for under 10 bucks a bulb to go ahead and get them because the ones he gets and uses when needed coat him more.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardedFool View Post
    No radio shack near me any more. And Amazon has come up empty using the original saab part number or a description. There is a local electronics store local business kinda thing and the guy there said to bring one in and he would have a look. He did say that he usually stocks bulbs that would work if I can reuse the plastic base and insert new bulbs. He seemed pretty knowledgeable when I described it and sounds like he knows what he is talking about. The only question is if the bulbs he has will match what's in it. Also found a local mechanic that specializes in Saabs and he said that if I can find them for under 10 bucks a bulb to go ahead and get them because the ones he gets and uses when needed cost him more.
    Search Amazon for "Grain of wheat" bulbs that might help. I am unsure as to exactly what size you need but railway modellers use some pretty small bulbs. LEDs would probably work but even with white ones the colour won't match the ACC etc.

How do these look? https://american-scientific.com/prod...bulb-pk-100-2/

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon
    The local electonics store had a bulb for me. Its a little bit longer than the bulb that was in it but when I teated all of the bulbs, only 1 didnt work. I have not had a chance to put the bulb in but I'm curious if the bulbs are powered in series where if 1 bulb burns out, they all stop working of if there us an issue with the power to the SID. When I put all of the bulbs back in but 1, there was absolutely no difference in how dim the display is. I hope to get to testing it out and checking wires for a poor connection but I only 1 and a half days where I can work on this car next week due to a mini vacation with the family. Might not be until the following week before I get a chance to check it out.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon
    I do have some missing pixels and lines but the small light bulbs that tested fine and working using a 9v battery still dont light up when connected to the car. I'm wondering if thats an issue with the ribbon cable or something else. I'm sorry but I still haven't downloaded WIS and I'm nit sure if it would be in there or not but I'm wondering if anyone e knows which wires do what in the connector. Ive seen in videos showing hiw to replace the ribbon cable that afterwards they plug in the connector to show it working but theres only 3 wires giing to that connector and i would like to test it outside of the vwhicle. So... Which terminals either in the connector or in the back if the display would I connect wires? And would it like up with a 9v battery? Or could I connect directly to the car battery without risking frying out the electronics?