Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by quake4 View Post
    I'm glad you solve the "problem" Steno. Reading the comments and how I have a 9-5, I'll throw my computer in the trash. From now on, all problems will be solved without a computer Jijijijij
    I think you have misunderstood the comment. If you know how something works, in detail, and what happens when it doesn't, you can often get to the cause of a problem more quickly than with an OBD2 reader and a diagnostic computer. I spent 45 years in aviation, specifically avionics, and often the information from the central computers was, at best, a guide to where to start looking. Sure there are some things that can be detected by the computers before the fault has any practical effect, great as long as you have a plan to deal with the problem. However, when something has failed to the extent that there are symptoms, as in this case,the computer is only going to tell you what good system knowledge has already told you (its a vacuum fault). The computer can't tell you where in the vacuum system the fault is located so you have to use hands, ears and eyes.

I have seen problems indicated by diagnostic system where the real fault has been in an entirely different system. I can't put 45 years experience into one post, or even a book, but I can tell you that absolute reliance on what the computer says can lead you in completely the wrong direction. OBD2 is an aid to fault finding, just as Sat Nav is an aid to navigation, follow either unquestioningly and you will regret it.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 2.3t sw vector 185cv 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
    I think you have misunderstood the comment. If you know how something works, in detail, and what happens when it doesn't, you can often get to the cause of a problem more quickly than with an OBD2 reader and a diagnostic computer. I spent 45 years in aviation, specifically avionics, and often the information from the central computers was, at best, a guide to where to start looking. Sure there are some things that can be detected by the computers before the fault has any practical effect, great as long as you have a plan to deal with the problem. However, when something has failed to the extent that there are symptoms, as in this case,the computer is only going to tell you what good system knowledge has already told you (its a vacuum fault). The computer can't tell you where in the vacuum system the fault is located so you have to use hands, ears and eyes.

I have seen problems indicated by diagnostic system where the real fault has been in an entirely different system. I can't put 45 years experience into one post, or even a book, but I can tell you that absolute reliance on what the computer says can lead you in completely the wrong direction. OBD2 is an aid to fault finding, just as Sat Nav is an aid to navigation, follow either unquestioningly and you will regret it.
    I do not have to repent of anything. Follow your path as an aeronautic "expert" that I will follow as a simple Saab fan. I do not need it.do not even mention to you
    Last edited by quake4; 07 July 2019 at 17:24.