Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 wagon

Serious lighting issue

The car: 1999, 9-5 V6T

The car had been sitting for 7 years before I brought it back to life, since then it has always read “brake light failure” on the display, they worked fine and having owned several Audi’s with the problematic self check system I didn’t really give it much concern until a few days ago.
    When the brake lights come on the signals come on as well and all lights are very dim, if I use the turn signal, it will flash fast until I let off the brakes. The trunk light flickers and if I pull the bulb cluster out for the taillights they also flicker but the signal lights left and right are ever so slightly illuminated. If I use the ground in the plug I get 10ish volts, if I ground the same terminal to the chassis I get 13.8, I’m thinking a ground problem or maybe the trunk harness? If I play around with the harness nothing changes.
    A few other strange happenings: intermittently I will get a headlight failure warning, reverse light failure warning and when the condenser fan kicks in on high speed it slows down the blower and dims the lights.
    Could the main chassis ground be to blame? The car turns over fine and starts quickly, windows roll up/down quickly.
    Any input on the subject is greatly appreciated.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    You almost certainly have a problem with a high resistance earth (ground). I would start at the battery and clean the negative terminal post and clamp ensuring that they are clean and free from any contaminants, including greases. Then move to the stud where the battery negative is connected to the body and ensure that the mating surfaces are clean and then tighten the nut to the specified torque, you will need WIS to find this value. After that check the engine earth strap and work around all the points shown in WIS.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 wagon
    Found the issue with the tail lights, no nut on the ground stud!!!! It was nowhere to be found either, installed new nut, tail lights work great!

Name:  ground stud.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  33.3 KB