Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 waggy , 9-3 ragtop
    Quote Originally Posted by TomTurbo View Post
    I think it's a problem with the crankshaft sensor. If the engine starts again after 20 - 30 min after cooling down it can't be a gasoline problem.
    The crankshaft sensor is a known problem with the saab 9-5. It is easy to change.
    As I mentioned in my initial post , can't be crank Pos sensor as the tach needle moved when trying to start.

So it couldn't be a fuel pump issue ? The pump is mechanical , there fore the bumpy ride for 3 miles home couldn't have set things back in motion ?

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    I think it's a problem with the crankshaft sensor. If the engine starts again after 20 - 30 min after cooling down it can't be a gasoline problem.
    The crankshaft sensor is a known problem with the Saab 9-5. It is easy to change.
    I agree it can't be fuel but there is a code for the CPS and it isn't one of the ones reported so I would be going with what the car is telling us. However, if buying a DI Cassette the cost and time to also replace a CPS is minimal so I'd do both.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 99, Saab 900, Saab 9000, Saab 9-5 2,0l, Saab 9-5 2,3 Biopower
    You don't get a code until the CPS is completely down. If the CPS fails, no code will be stored in the control unit. I had this on my Saab 9.5, 2,0l.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 waggy , 9-3 ragtop
    You don't get a code until the CPS is completely down. If the CPS fails, no code will be stored in the control unit. I had this on my Saab 9.5, 2,0l.
    Right , I agree , however if the CPS was the failure when the car would NOT start I would not have seen the tach needle moving while The engine was turning over but not starting.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Yes, but there is a DI Cassette code so wouldn't it be a good idea to address the code that is present rather than assume one that isn't? Or have I been doing it wrong for the past 30 years?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 waggy , 9-3 ragtop
    I will have an update , next week , as I just ordered a Ignition Cassette . Fingers Crossed !

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Wagon
    Any luck with the new cassette? Great tip is to buy a spare and carry it around in the rear, learned this from the days with my old 9000 SE!!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 waggy , 9-3 ragtop
    I put the new ignition cassette in on Monday night. So far , So good ...... well yesterday on the way home I did get an engine light ...... checked it when I got home , it was O2 sensor bank 1. I cleared it this morning on a cold engine , 34 miles to work , all good no code !
    At the same time as the cassette I also installed a new ignition switch as mine was not "popping" up and the chime wouldn't stop and radio wouldn't shut off. Again All good , thus far !!
    Next project ..... new gas struts for the rear hatch ! Then front struts .

Thanks to all !!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 waggy , 9-3 ragtop
    OK , weird .... see above post about O2 sensor code , cleared code yesterday before leaving for work. Drove the 34 miles to work no issues ..... worked for 8 hours , left work for the 34 mile ride home , in approx same area got the same O@ sensor code yet again , sames mileage , same timing . Cleared code again this morning, same 34 miles no issue. we'll see what tonight brings !

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr8lite View Post
    OK , weird .... see above post about O2 sensor code , cleared code yesterday before leaving for work. Drove the 34 miles to work no issues ..... worked for 8 hours , left work for the 34 mile ride home , in approx same area got the same O@ sensor code yet again , sames mileage , same timing . Cleared code again this morning, same 34 miles no issue. we'll see what tonight brings !
    Not to weird, most soft codes don't show until after you've completed the drive cycle, this is one of them.