Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear

Throttle body woes

Hey guys. I uploaded my video on YouTube and will list the link here for you. Been having issues with throttle body which makes some weird noises after i drive the car for a while and then shut it off. I also get the p0638 code every month or every other month. I already checked the H42 connector, several times, and wiring. I replaced the throttle body with another used one and it makes the same noise. Could I have just gotten another bad throttle body? Have rough idle and sluggish/surging accelration at half throttle. Sometimes accleration is fine other times it's not. Also, when cold the throttle body does not make any noise. Only after driving for a little bit.

https://youtu.be/i40ZK8ZvbJE

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Interesting clicking sound and yes you could have gotten a bad throttle body, you could also have a bad throttle peddle or a flaky Trionic 8. The H42 connector is the first place you look, but not the only place to find a free to fix loose or dirty connection. Wiggle all the wires and check all connections between the gas peddle to the ECU to the throttle body

Next you plug in the Tech 2 and run the throttle test, or do it the no test equipment way and start by watching your throttle body open and close when you first turn the key to make sure it moves like it should when cold and warm. Zero demand from the gas peddle should give same operation warm or cold. If it chatters when warm pull the 10 amp ECU fuse to reset the engine controller without resetting the entire system and do the warm test again. After that you guess at parts or get a test set. Most of the older "drive by wire" cars get worn spots at "half throttle" and you could have gotten a well worn used T-body, you could also be overlooking your well worn foot feed T-sender and this is a pricy plastic assembly so you might want to know if you actually need it before you buy it. They do fix cheep if you are electro-mechanically inclined, but you will need a tech 2 for testing because not getting it right can get you and others killed.

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear
    In the cold start up you can hear the secondary air pump. That's what that high air noise is. Also, don't mind the rock. I used that to hold my phone in place to video. It ended up being a harder thing to video by myself than I anticipated haha

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick0018 View Post
    This ain't right and you are going to need a second person to turn the key to ON without starting the car many times while you wiggle every wire from the ecu to hopefully get the T-body to open and close as it should when power first applied. Pull the ECU and clean the ground connection and give the cable connections a good lighted magnifying glass visual inspection. If you don't find a bad wire or ground you will need a Tech 2 to test and certainly to replace the ECU if you find its gone bad.

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear
    Well the thing is, I had the car at a saab shop last week and the technician told me the car is fine. He said the throttle body is working fine, said the wiring was fine, and also told me the ECU was fine.
    I mean, from just that video I made, a throttle body should not do that so something is not fine. Now if he actually did what he said and hooked up his tech II is another story. I'm now to the point of having to do it myself because that was the only Saab shop I have within 5 hours of me. And also, I work on all my cars but I'm not a professional by any means when it comes to electronics. Electronics are one of my weakest areas. I can replace engines and do major things, but diagnosing electronics will always be my downfall. And I know on today's world it's something I'm gonna have to learn with cars nowadays. I know the basics which get me by. I will definitely take off the ECU and take a good look at all the wiring and grounds myself tommorow tho. I don't have the money for a tech II right now. It's definitely something I want to get tho.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Assuming an honest shop and competent mechanic your fluttering throttle body is most likely caused by a failing throttle peddle sending unit. These things sometimes fail in a way that causes the voltage signal sent to the engine’s computer to be sporadic and make it think that you are very quickly tapping the gas pedal. This plays into the p0638 code you've been getting every month or every other month, so start at the gas peddle and work your way up.

This isn't the only possible cause and assuming anything can result in (ass-u-me), so don't overlook loss of compression when warm.