Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Alex Andrews (Lex)
    Saab(s)
    ‘02 9-5 Aero, ‘16 Skoda Superb SE-L Exec.

Angry Power Steering leak.

Hi all,

Need a bit of knowledge.

I bought a 2002 Aero on Monday, first thoughts I’ve bought a, let’s a complete bag of......

I’ve managed to reduce the juddering and rough running by changing the vac pipes. I’ve order the poly bush for the torque mount and a replacement rear engine mount, plus both front shocks and strut bearings and mounts.

Even ordered red a pair of US spec indicator/marker lights tonight. Just pulled back up at home. POP! Power steering pipe blown, fluid everywhere... I’ve managed to nurse it to work and put it on out 2 post ramp to inspect. Leak looks to be coming from the O-rings at the back of the rack below the steering column. I’ve poured a litre of fluid in and watched it pour straight back out.

Finally the question.
    Can the O-rings be bought separate, or are they like Peugeot/Citroen part of the pipe or rack? I gather the subframe has got to be dropped etc to get to the rack.
    is it worth doing? I’ve had the damm thing since Monday and I’ve already thought about parting it out(if I had the space) twice.

Its supposed to be a 12month car. At this rate it’ll last the week.

Including buying it, parts and service done. I’m at £2k.

The car this one is supposed to replace returns to the Finance company early next week due to faults apparent from week 1 of ownership (18months ago ).

Any help, pointers or (finger pointing and tut, tut, lesson to be learnt next time), will may be tolerated.

Apologies for the rant and essay.
    More things change. The more they stay the same.

Alex Andrews (Lex)
    Saab(s)
    ‘02 9-5 Aero, ‘16 Skoda Superb SE-L Exec.
    Managed to find the leak. It came from the union where the power steering pipes go from the rack to the bottom of the steering column. The T30 bolt had somehow come loose and the bolt had sheered.

New bolt fitted and new fluid filled as not only had it thrown it self out all over the workshop and car park at work but where it had blown outside the house. The fluid was almost brown.

So I decided to drop the coolant and Gearbox oil. Coolant was dusky pink with an odour. The Gearbox fluid was metallic reddy/brown. Flushed both out. Run the car hopefully (if nothing else goes wrong) for the next 6k as it’ll be used for round town. Then do another full service and fluids change.
    More things change. The more they stay the same.