Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    Saab 95

Saab 95 2003 problems

Hi there, I work as a volunteer for a small community and we have two Saab 95s that both have seemingly serious problems. We have some mechanics close by, but they don't able to agree on what is wrong and basically advise to take them to the dump. One we only bought five weeks ago and it seemed like a very good car. So all help would be appreciated.

Anyway, here are the problems:

Red one: it was running perfectly fine and then one day wouldn't start. After about thirty minutes it started and worked fine again. But every day or so it seemed to refuse to start, and take a little time to come back on. Some days five minutes, some days up to an hour. After maybe a week of this it started to rev higher than usual when in park (it's an automatic) and a few times it stalled while driving. Eventually we took it to a mechanic who reset the computer/warning system and after that it got much worse. The guy I work for said the mechanic said it was maybe overcompensating before. It juddered a lot while driving, and the starting problem got worse - it probably need several hours now between starts, so we don't use it any more.

Any thoughts?

The green one has an oil leak and leaks almost all the oil in just a few days, so we don't use that one any more either. A mechanic has looked at it but can't fix it, and doesn't seem to know what the problem is. I find this a little bit difficult to understand; I've never been to mechanic who wasn't able to at least diagnose the problem and say what needed doing. Can a car have an unfixable oil leak that nobody can do anything about?

Thanks for reading and for taking the time. I'd love to hear some responses to these issues and help us figure out what to do.

Saab(s)
    Saab 95
    Anybody got any input?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    What engines are in these cars? Petrol or diesel?

Red one: My first thought is a failing Crankshaft Position Sensor but that's just a guess. Did the engine light come on? Did the mechanic scan for any OBD codes?

Green one: You first have to figure out where the oil is leaking from. Any leak is fixable but sometimes the repair cost may be more than what the car is worth.

Not sure if your mechanic specializes in Saabs but I imagine any mechanic in Sweden will be familiar with them. It is a good idea to have the problem diagnosed by an authorized Saab service center but that may not be possible if there isn't one close by.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 99, Saab 900, Saab 9000, Saab 9-5 2,0l, Saab 9-5 2,3 Biopower
    I had a similar problem and it was the CPS. When the engine starts again after a short time def sensor is the main suspect.

On the Saab 9-5 oil leaks often occur at the oil pressure switch, chain tensioner and crankshaft sealing ring (passenger side).

It is best to wash off the engine and then let it run to find the leakage.

Saab(s)
    Saab 95
    Thanks guys.