Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    9-3 Tid

Help!

Hi. Long read but bear with me

Saab 9-3 diesel. Had issues with the traction and stability control systems, took it to the Mechanic, performed readings with the OBDII reader, faults cleared, came back again, resoldered a few wires. Issue cleared.

Week and a bit later, check engine light comes on, thinking ok, wheres this going to end up.

Driving home from work, Traction and stability control warning, revs drop to 1000 rpm, pull over start the car again, working fine. Later today, same alerts came up, and an odd WATER IN FUEL warning. and the car died.

The mechanic has never seen this before. Any ideas? Any one seen this before?

Thanks.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Would be nice to know year and mileage before hazarding any guess on interrelated electrical system failure. Have never seen a Saab diesel, but from small tractors and big lawn mowers, I know enough about little diesels to look in a glass jar and know if the fuel is water contaminated. Suggest you look at the fuel and decide for yourself if the computer is telling the truth, no point in needlessly chasing the integrated system failure possibilities.

Saab(s)
    9-3 Tid
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Would be nice to know year and mileage before hazarding any guess on interrelated electrical system failure. Have never seen a Saab diesel, but from small tractors and big lawn mowers, I know enough about little diesels to look in a glass jar and know if the fuel is water contaminated. Suggest you look at the fuel and decide for yourself if the computer is telling the truth, no point in needlessly chasing the integrated system failure possibilities.
    Bugger, should have mentioned that it's a 06, 279500 odd on the clock, definitely no diesel contamination.

Saab(s)
    9-3 Tid
    Should also mention CIM and ISM were replaced. I've had the car for less than 2 months, it's been in and out of the shop. I'm not blaming the mechanics, I'm just wondering what the hell this could be.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    I know nothing about the Saab diesel, but I have a 30 year factory trained Saab mechanic working at the official GM service location that replaced my airbag neighbor two doors up who knows everything. While I was talking pavement with my neighbor I slipped your Saab problem into the conversation and need to find out if you have a stick or automatic and where in Australia? Didn't ask why because I hadn't ever given much thought to rust in Australia.

Saab(s)
    9-3 Tid
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    I know nothing about the Saab diesel, but I have a 30 year factory trained Saab mechanic working at the official GM service location that replaced my airbag neighbor two doors up who knows everything. While I was talking pavement with my neighbor I slipped your Saab problem into the conversation and need to find out if you have a stick or automatic and where in Australia? Didn't ask why because I hadn't ever given much thought to rust in Australia.
    Hey Digger.

Manual. Victoria.

Thanks

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by notwhoiam View Post
    Hey Digger.

Manual. Victoria.

Thanks
    Neighbor Jim would have to see the car before he would could say what's wrong, But:
    The ABS wires usually break at the flex point where they are cable tied near the rear wheels. Your mechanic probably repaired these wires on one or both sides.
    Ground connect for and ABS solenoid module itself are the most common causes for intermittent traction ABS, traction and stability control failures.

Manual makes a big difference as it eliminates the most common single bad part cause of odd related problems. Bad connections are the most common cause of odd problems.

Victoria covers a large area and Perth to Melbourne are in corrosion zone E?. I learned that Victoria, except for inside the City of Melbourne, are in the rustiest part of Australia, just the opposite of my part of the world where corrosion from road salt is always greater inside the city than it is outstate. Also just the opposite of my part of the world the screw thread will get rusty before the bolt head and like my part of the world, Gulf Coast cars have different electrical connection problems than rust belt cars. Basically salt air gets into places road salt doesn't and if the engine operation and traction system are intermittent bus error connection problems, ground connection and connector plug pin by plug pin visual inspection should locate the cause.

As this is just an ordinary electrical problem on a car with a diesel engine and I'm not trying to help you fix a computer controlled diesel engine problem, I don't know if I should feel foolish or enlightened as already knew what I needed to know to tell you to look at the unpainted metal under the dash for signs of surface rust and check all connections if you found any. I just didn't know enough about Australia to treat this like a Gulf Coast car.