Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 Aero. V6 Manual Transmission

Moon roof stuck open.

I was sitting in my car waiting for my wife and son at the park just tinkering around and I pushed the inside shade cover up just slightly off the track on the drivers side.
    I was able to get the roof closed but when I opened it up the next time it drew the shade back into the roof with the window. Now when I try to get it to close it closes about 1/4 the way and automatically goes back to being completely open.
    I have tried a number of slim long things to push it back on the track all to no avail. I'm a bigger guy and it's really tight trying to balance on the seat and peer back into.the moon roof.
    Does anyone have a good trick or idea or recommend a tool or a handmade tool to use to get it back on track? I will have to take it to an auto body shop eventually but I was hoping to possibly avoid paying if anyone has ever dealt with this or has an alternate approach. I literally just put a new motor in it for 3k after having the original seize after hitting a raised manhole cover and draining all the oil. So money is kinda tight and I'm sure that they will want at least 100 bux at a shop.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

2006. 2.8l 9-3 Aero manual btw.
    It's my fav car I have ever owned and besides this blemish it is in wonderful condition..

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    You need to drop the headliner, you don't need to completely remove, but you do need to drop one side and the front down far enough to get working room or you will ruin the headliner.

Plastic gets brittle with heat and age. Removing the trim without breaking the clips is the time consuming part and depending on where the car has spent the past 13 years this could also be the toughest part of the job. Flat blade screwdrivers and small pry bars will work but they also poke holes and scratch paint. If you are anywhere near a Harbor Freight store, get the plastic and metal trim removal kits, you won't need most of what you get, but cost less than buying the individual tools and is $10 well spent.

Your car is new enough for side curtain airbags and though these are not a problem, your first time dropping a headliner you best pull the battery before you pull the trim, just in case.

Take your time, even the pros break clips and if you only break one, you're as good as the pros. The jellied super glue works best for putting the plastic back together, not as good as not breaking, but good enough to hold trim in place until the next time its pulled.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 Aero. V6 Manual Transmission
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    You need to drop the headliner, you don't need to completely remove, but you do need to drop one side and the front down far enough to get working room or you will ruin the headliner.

Plastic gets brittle with heat and age. Removing the trim without breaking the clips is the time consuming part and depending on where the car has spent the past 13 years this could also be the toughest part of the job. Flat blade screwdrivers and small pry bars will work but they also poke holes and scratch paint. If you are anywhere near a Harbor Freight store, get the plastic and metal trim removal kits, you won't need most of what you get, but cost less than buying the individual tools and is $10 well spent.

Your car is new enough for side curtain airbags and though these are not a problem, your first time dropping a headliner you best pull the battery before you pull the trim, just in case.

Take your time, even the pros break clips and if you only break one, you're as good as the pros. The jellied super glue works best for putting the plastic back together, not as good as not breaking, but good enough to hold trim in place until the next time its pulled.
    This is amazing!. Thank you! And yes I live 5 min from a harbor freight. Actually one of my fav stores. Thank you so much and I will let u know how I make out..

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk