Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by bryang View Post
    Just got the Tech 2. Now I need to take a few days off work and play with it :-).
    Must be a hundred youtube vids on using the Tech 2 with your Saab, never found a useful vid on installing the Saab TIS operating and this took me about a month to actually get it working with my laptop.
    On my Chevy TIS holds all the functions that are built into the Saab and I've only needed to use TIS once. On the Saab, TIS is almost only necessary to get security access and almost everything else is built into the Saab onboard software and your goal is to get Security Access.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero Wagon, 2006 Saab 9-3 SportCombi Aero
    Yeah, I've watched a few of them and many talk about the pita it is to install the software (needs to be XP, etc) but I haven't ran across an installation tutorial either. I'm planning on it being more difficult than I'm planning on... I'm going to have to sit down with the box of snakes and see if I have the proper cable for attaching to the computer also. I've seen a few suggestions on what to / what not to buy in that regard. I've got an old laptop that I'm going to dedicate to car stuff so I'll be setting it up with XP.

Once one gets security access with a car, is it necessary to go through the security process each time it is used with that car or is it , once and done? I'm guessing that I'll only be using it with these two cars but, you never know. I had planned on changing a lot of the settings (DRL delete, alarm delete, fog lights, etc.) as well as programming a few new keys. Not sure if I want to do it all in one session but I will if I have to go through the security silliness each session.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Yeah, I've watched a few of them and many talk about the pita it is to install the software (needs to be XP, etc) but I haven't ran across an installation tutorial either. I'm planning on it being more difficult than I'm planning on... I'm going to have to sit down with the box of snakes and see if I have the proper cable for attaching to the computer also. I've seen a few suggestions on what to / what not to buy in that regard. I've got an old laptop that I'm going to dedicate to car stuff so I'll be setting it up with XP.

Once one gets security access with a car, is it necessary to go through the security process each time it is used with that car or is it , once and done? I'm guessing that I'll only be using it with these two cars but, you never know. I had planned on changing a lot of the settings (DRL delete, alarm delete, fog lights, etc.) as well as programming a few new keys. Not sure if I want to do it all in one session but I will if I have to go through the security silliness each session.
    If your XP laptop has a 9pin serial port your Tech 2 comes with the necessary cable. If your old laptop is a Dell 620/ 630 I wrote down the installation instructions when I got mine working just in case I ever needed to reinstall.

You can always check with the Tech 2, but if you want to do anything from changing tire size, to how your door locks work, to using the headlight switch to turn your lights off, you need to enable security access with every session.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Thanks again for the info. My old laptop doesn't have the 9 pin serial port. Looks like I'll be getting an adapter. Thanks again

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Thanks again for the info. My old laptop doesn't have the 9 pin serial port. Looks like I'll be getting an adapter. Thanks again
    Not all USB to 9p serial adaptors are created equal, save yourself hours of frustration and search Saab USB to serial adaptors and find the one that works with your computer.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Thanks, I will. In fact I saw a video that mentioned this very issue but I was watching in bed and didn't write it down. I'll have to find that video again...

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Found two videos that recommend the

Tripp Lite Keyspan High-Speed USB to Serial Adapter, PC & Mac (USA-19HS) as the go-to for the adapter. I've ordered it and it should be here today. Now to clear the old PC and set it up with Windows XP....

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 2006 2.8 Turbo V6 Hirsch
    If u tap the abs module and she starts?! It is most likely a broken solder point on the print of the connector. Grinded mine open, did a reflow and glued the box shut with some silicone.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Thanks for that info. I'll give that a shot also. I read a posting where someone mentioned that as well. Hopefully I'll get a break in my schedule so I can spend a few quality days tinkering. Thanks again!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Thanks for that info. I'll give that a shot also. I read a posting where someone mentioned that as well. Hopefully I'll get a break in my schedule so I can spend a few quality days tinkering. Thanks again!
    Controller pin to board contact is a common intermittent ABS problem on many vehicles and fresh solder on the big connector pins is common fix. As cooking the board while soldering is also a common problem that kills almost as many boards as it cures, use a pencil and not a big gun. Use that new Tech 2 and read the codes before you go opening the controller and look for a communication lost code. Soldering pins in the controller doesn't fix broken sensors and harness wires.