Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero Wagon, 2006 Saab 9-3 SportCombi Aero

2006 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi Ignition Problems, Etc

Hello all,
    I just purchased a 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi a few weeks ago, via an auction. I've been cleaning it up while looking for a good deal on a Tech 2 so I can diagnose it an my 2000 Aero Wagon. So, long story short, I've driven it a few times and have had issues getting it to start at times. The ignition fob turns, steering wheel unlocks, dash lights up and when the fob is turned to the 'start' position, nothing.
    I've been watching every YouTube video and scouring the forums and haven't come up with any solution other than 1) could be a bad battery or 2) could be a bad ISM. I do know that I try to avoid messing with the alarm system at all as when I was working with my earlier 9-5 it was a pita. I was thinking that it is somehow related to the security system as I had set the alarm off a few times and got a message regarding that. Anyway...it sucks not being able to trust it to drive. The other day, while tooling around in it, the abs, brake and traction control lights popped on and scared the hell out of me. I drove it home, turned it off and restarted it and there were no lights. So, as I wait to get the Tech 2, and before I start ordering every possible electronic module, is there a magic 'fix everything' button that I haven't found yet?
    Thanks for any guidance,
    Bryan
    [/FONT]

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Congrats on the Sportcombi
    Quite often not starting is as simple with a Saab as it is with most cars and a flaky neutral safety switch at the clutch or position switch on auto tranny are the no crank cause. Your temporary ABS Traction Stability error could be a sign of a failing ABS controller or wheel sensor, on my Sportcombi the wheel sensor error turned out to be a broken wire at the first cable tie holding the rear wheel sensor wire to the rear suspension. Most of the time the wires touched even when moving and the Tech 2 won't find this when the wires are touching. With a Sportcombi you will want to write this down and save it for the day you need rear springs Lesjfors 4277822 tough part number to find and lowest priced number to purchase.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Hi Digger. Thanks, I really like the car so far (except for the obvious no-start issues which, coincidentally I had on the earlier 9-5 for a few weeks, along with battery draining and weird stereo system issues). It's an automatic which I'm actually enjoying, as the clutch is starting to go out in the 9-5 so I'm babying it til I can get the Sportcombi sorted.
    I had read of your ABS woes in another thread as well as, not sure if it was you or not, a short at the ABS module itself. My plan is to try to preemptively address each of the little electronic issues that come up with these as well as try to build up a stash of parts for the apocalypse.
    I'll keep the spring info handy as well as I think mine need replacing. I already stopped at the tire store and have them put together a price for me. I've read that the Eibachs are preferable to the H&R's but if I go the stock-ish route, I'll look at these Lesjfors units. If I can get the tire shop to install them for a reasonable price I'll let them but, realistically, I'll probably end up doing them myself and then take it in for an alignment.
    If you know of a good source for a reasonably priced Tech 2 unit, I'm all ears. I'm a bit of a Luddite with electronics, preferring my 'How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive... Idiot Book' over the NASA re-entry calculations.
    Thanks for the info,
    Bryan

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    I might have responded to the shorted ABS module, but my only Saab ABS problem was an broken wire in the cable which gave me intermittent faults. I have had bad control modules on other GM's that were the controller and in rust country the ones that are frame below the cab are tough to pull for repair.

At a tire shop a rear wheel alignment could easily cost more than a grand if your alignment bolts have become one with the control arms, so I suggest that you replace rear springs, shocks and shock mounts to restore chamber before you go in for an alignment. Toe always means hours of work or new control arms when those alignment bolts seize and the shop books don't tell you that the $10 Chevy bolts are the same as the Saab part, so have take advantage of any free alignment check before you pay to have alignment done as you may want to replace these bolts and control arms first. It will take all day, cost about $70 in parts, $30 in saw blades and torch gas, but it will save you hundreds.

Best source for Tech 2 is Google, you can get Tech 2 with CANDI direct from distributer for a couple hundred or get the same thing from Amazon for a hundred more. The tech 2 is easy, getting the cheep TIS to work on your computer isn't. If you have a Dell 620 or 30 I can help you, anything else you're on your own.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Thanks for the insight. I haven't even really crawled under the car yet. I've been doing mostly cosmetic stuff like replacing the aero front valance (it was more expensive than I thought it was going to be :-) ) and getting mats and a cargo mat and polishing the headlights. I really want it to look its best as it just sits there :-) . I've been cruising Google, Ebay and Amazon for the Tech 2 and have ran across this one. Does it look like the one I want to get?
    http://www.worldobd2.com/wholesale/gm-tech-2.html
    It looks like I'd be into it for $400 if I get the Saab setup. I have no idea what the CANDI is, and I'm not sure it's included with this setup, though I see it listed as being included with others. I'd just like to buy whatever it is I need in one package and not go sleuthing around for cables and interfaces and whatnots.
    Thanks again for your help and input,
    Bryan

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Looks to be same as I got which is as good as the GM dealer gets but might not bounce as well. The GM TIS isn't Saab TIS and you will need to add or contact by email as the add suggests and substitute the GM TIS for Saab TIS and let them know you want the Saab card included with the unit. CANDI is for the computer aided network diagnostic interface and you need that for your 2006 Saab, DO NOT use it on your older Saab.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    OK. Thanks for looking it over. I'm guessing/hoping that I can use this on the older Saab too (just not with the CANdi) correct?
    I'll just have them call you. Much easier for me. :-) Thanks again for the info. Very helpful. I'm going to order it today. Have a great weekend!

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Ordered and crossing fingers that I orered all the right stuff. Talked with 'Ms Apple' and was told that she'd put in all Saab stuff. I'm sure it'll be fine.
    Thanks again,
    Bryan

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by bryang View Post
    OK. Thanks for looking it over. I'm guessing/hoping that I can use this on the older Saab too (just not with the CANdi) correct?
    I'll just have them call you. Much easier for me. :-) Thanks again for the info. Very helpful. I'm going to order it today. Have a great weekend!
    That is correct. Do not use the candi interface on your older Saab.
    Haven't had a bit of trouble with my Tech 2, had a lot of trouble getting Saab TIS to run on the laptop. The program came with installation instructions all of 6 short sentences long and installation on my good used Win XP laptop was by trial and error. If I'd know at the time that my new neighbor two doors up was the senior Saab mechanic at the place that cost so much it inspired me to get my own Tech 2, I wouldn't have needed it, but glad to have it as it has saved myself and my family a small fortune and has paid for itself several times over.
    You might want to get the GM card along with the Saab card, lots of GM cars and for a few extra bucks very handy to have.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Just got the Tech 2. Now I need to take a few days off work and play with it :-).