Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero Wagon, 2006 Saab 9-3 SportCombi Aero

2006 Aaab 9-3 Sportcombi - Removing Junkyard Seats

OK...... I've tried on a few different trips to get these seats out, to no avail. I've watched every YouTube video (except, apparently, the right one), cruised every forum, googled every possible combination of words I could think of for 'removing power seats from Saab 9-3', yadda, yadda, yadda....
    Here's the situation: I found a 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero in the junkyard that has seats that are in better shape than mine. I want them. They are, of course, all the way back in their tracks, and at the lowest height setting (most likely). I removed the interior mirror so I can see under the seat and there's more than a few motors and scary airbag stuff.
    Finally, the question, 'Has anyone successfully powered up, and pulled, the seats from a 9-3 that is in a junk yard? If so where, specifically, did you apply power and ground?
    I'm thinking that if I can find out the wire colors, I may be able to find a spot upstream of the underside of the seat, to be able to apply power.
    Thanks again for any help or direction.
    Bryan

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Pulled seats from Fords, Buicks, Chryslers, Volvos BMW's and VW's, haven't spent enough time with Saabs to need a seat, but:
    Pulling power seats from a late model at a salvage yard usually means applying power at the seat fuse location if the wire harness is intact and when its not, a chisel to poke a hole through the floor and a battery powered recip saw will get the job done. Left and right power seats have their own fuses and memory seats sometimes mean powering the entire fuse block.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Yeah, these are memory seats. That was my next step, the sawsall. The car has had a lot of fuses, relays etc pulled from it so I think that's how I might have to go about it. Fortunately(?) there are only two bolts at the rear end (I think) and the front of the track is tabbed in to the body (I think). I just need to McGyver a way to cut out where the bolts are and not f-up the track. Might take a few more visits I guess. I'd love to power them up but I don't see that happening as I cant find anyone who has done it and written it up. If I figure it out before the saw, I'll definitely write it up.

Ha, I kinda screwed up cuz I salvaged the upholstery for the lower backseat cushion as well. Mine has a hole and this seat was perfect, except the wire frame of it was tweaked on one end. Had I had my thinking cap on, I would've just pulled it and tweaked it back into shape in 5 minutes and swapped it out for mine. Nope, I had to overthink it. I proceeded to remove the upholstery, cutting the hog rings, etc. to replace my own upholstery which I'll have to remove before I can hog ring this upholstery to. I realized this about 3/4 of the way through disassembly...

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    My 9-3 didn't have power passenger seat and that fuse location didn't matter to me, but you can always plug into F10 and give the old jump pack a try. I had an 06 SportCombi, don't know that much about Saab seat wiring and only went under the seat to replace the amp. If I hadn't sold the Saab last month I could take a picture, put in arrows to show you where to poke your holes and be a bit more specific.

Generically speaking all cars are reinforced where seats and seat belts bolt, so poke your big saw blade hole about an inch back from the end of the seat rail. Take the foot off your recip saw and mount the blade teeth facing forward, cut slots as far as you can reach on both side of both seat rails, after the slots are cut push the seat forward to lift the floor and cut some more. Not easy to bend like a pretzel and control a saw without a foot, so bring extra blades. Flat blade screwdrivers will work for bending and twisting the floor to make room for cutting, large and small pry bars are better.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Removing 9-3 seats problem resolved. This may only be for certain years of 9-3's as all the info I've seen had different instructions.
    For future reference, here's how I did it.
    Seats were all back so I couldn't access the track bolts. Both are power seats but the driver's side has more functions. So....
    1) Semi remove the plastic trim at the front of the passenger and driver's seat bases. Should snap off partially. It was that way when I got to the car so no instructions on that.
    2) Looking under the front of the seats you'll see the fore/aft motor. It is a cylinder, with long spindles at each end, that runs perpendicular to the fore/aft of the seats from track to track. It really pretty thin so it doesn't even look like a motor (to me at least). Unplug the passenger seat fore/aft motor.
    3)Cut those two wires about 4-6" away from the plug to make a pigtail.
    There is extra wire length and you can repair it later.
    Strip about 1/'4" of insulation from the ends of the wires that are still attached to the seat as well as the wires on the pigtail you've removed. Keep the pigtail as you'll need it later.
    4) Stay at the passenger seat and, using the battery from your cordless drill (I used an 18V Ryobi battery), using the wires that are still attached to the seat, touch one of the wires to the positive and one to the negative of the battery. If the seat moves backwards, reverse the wires position on the battery and it'll move forward.
    5) Now you can access the bolts. Remove the bolts. They will be stiff as there is blue Loctite on them.
    6) Remove the attached seatbelt at the outside of the seat.
    7) Lift the back of the seat about 6-8" and unplug the airbag harness and seat position wires if they are there.
    8) Remove seat.
    9) Move to drivers seat and unplug the motor. Plug in the pigtail that you made from the passenger seat and repeat steps 4-7 above.
    Standard disclaimer, follow at your own risk, etc. etc. This all assumes that all of the car's systems are de-energized, etc. etc. You know, junkyard seats.