Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero Wagon, 2006 Saab 9-3 SportCombi Aero

Good times in Saab world! 9-5 issues

Hello all,
    Any insight to what I should look for with the following?
    I just spent all day in the junk yard doing some scavenging for my 9-3. After I loaded up my 2000 9-5 Aero Wagon with all the haul for her little sister I hit the freeway. 5 minutes away from the junk yard, cruising along at about 75-80, I lost all power. No catastrophic noises at all. Dash lit up. Seemed like 'TCS OFF' was the dominant message. At least that's the one that stuck in my mind as I played Frogger through 5 lanes of traffic to get over to the right shoulder. I coasted to the side and popped the hood. Didn't see anything amiss. Tried to start it up and it would start a few times, barely. When it did start, the tach was showing, like, 300 RPM's. It would run like that for maybe 10 seconds and then die. There seemed to be little to no change when I moved the accelerator pedal but it seemed like I could feather it a bit and it would continue to run at super low rpms but eventually die. Got towed home and just tried one of my emergency spare DICs (no idea if it's good or not actually as it came as a spare with the car when I bought it 3 or 4 years ago) but there's no change.
    I did just get a knock off Tech 2 that I haven't tried out yet so I'll look at it tomorrow in the light. In the meantime, do these symptoms sound familiar? If so, what was the diagnosis and how did you resolve it?
    I've been scattershot reading all over and there's a lot of talk about the DIC failing. There's also talk about the crank position sensor. And, finally, I'm not sure if the super low idle/dying is a symptom of 'limp home' mode or something else.
    Thanks for any wisdom you can share.
    Bryan

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    OK, so I used the Tech 2 for the first time today. It indicated that the Limp Home was activated so I reset that and I found the following codes:
    P0455 - Serious Leakage in Evaporative System (I've put on a few gas caps in the past, trying to address this but it must be occurring in a less easy to access area)
    P1230 - Throttle Position Sensor 1&2 Circuit Sum Out of Range (I'm assuming, from what little I've read, that this is a 'replace the throttle body' problem)
    P1231 -
    Throttle Position Sensor 1&2 Circuit Sum Out of Range (No Limp Home)
    P1455 - Evaporative Tank Pressure Sensor. Serious Leakage in System & Malfunctional Fuel Level Sensor - Gas guage seems to be working fine, so I'm assuming that the fuel level sensor isn't related to the fuel gauge / fuel level sender.
    Anyhooo.... I wrote down the codes and then cleared them with the Tech 2.
    The car is running but I don't enjoy going on tow-trips so I'll drive it around the block a few times to see if it shuts down again.
    I plan on cuddling up with the WIS later and researching the procedures to address each of these codes but, in the interim,
    does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks again for any input,
    Bryan

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    I guess these forums are not as busy as they used to be. Did everyone move over to FB, etc? Anyhooo....I took it out for a short freeway drive and it's running fine (I think). Just not sure what caused it to go into limp home mode on the freeway yesterday...

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by bryang View Post
    I guess these forums are not as busy as they used to be. Did everyone move over to FB, etc? Anyhooo....I took it out for a short freeway drive and it's running fine (I think). Just not sure what caused it to go into limp home mode on the freeway yesterday...
    Evap codes are usually caused by the gas cap, but not always and things like sticky purge valves a loose vacuum lines get overlooked until they get bad enough to generate other codes. Even facebook has a seasonal ebb and flow and Saab World is no different, only a bit more noticeable as there are fewer Saab owners than there are FB users.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Thanks for that. I've changed the gas cap a few times so I imagine it's located in the vacuum lines and/or purge valve. I'll investigate/repair those next. I'd like to just buy a couple spools of silicone vacuum hose and replace every one I can see. Any idea what the ID(s) might be for the SAAB?
    Yeah, I understand the seasonal ebb and flow on the forums. I prefer them to the FB interface though. Seems to be a better repository for knowledge without all the goofiness.
    Thanks again,
    Bryan

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 2.3t
    Quote Originally Posted by bryang View Post
    Thanks for that. I've changed the gas cap a few times so I imagine it's located in the vacuum lines and/or purge valve. I'll investigate/repair those next. I'd like to just buy a couple spools of silicone vacuum hose and replace every one I can see. Any idea what the ID(s) might be for the SAAB?
    Yeah, I understand the seasonal ebb and flow on the forums. I prefer them to the FB interface though. Seems to be a better repository for knowledge without all the goofiness.
    Thanks again,
    Bryan
    I believe the vacuum hose is 3.5 mm. I first tried 4 mm and they kept coming off so I went to 3 mm and have had no problem since. This is what I used; Turbosmart TS-HV0303-BE Blue 3mm Vacuum Hose

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Thanks for the info! I'll get a couple rolls ordered and go to town on the 9-5 and the 9-3 as well.

Saab(s)
    Saab 9-5 Sport Wagon
    What happened, bryang? I have a an issue like yours in which the tow truck driver had to feather the throttle to get it on the truck. I have to decide whether or not to total it (crash-related) or try to have it repaired when I just recently spent $660 to replace the starter and battery. Thanks.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnelieseNoelle View Post
    What happened, bryang? I have a an issue like yours in which the tow truck driver had to feather the throttle to get it on the truck. I have to decide whether or not to total it (crash-related) or try to have it repaired when I just recently spent $660 to replace the starter and battery. Thanks.
    That was a while ago. If I remember correctly, I followed every vacuum line and replaced them.
    Now, a few years later, the car is awaiting a minor rebuild that I'm trying to put off until the weather cools down.
    Hope your problem is simple! Google how to reset the limp home on the throttle body. It's very simple. I just left the bracket/cover off in case I have to reset it again down the road someday.