Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3

Power steering problem

Just got used Saab 2003 9-3 2.0 turbo Linear and no power steering at all. I have replaced power steering pump with new fluid and still no power steering.The rack and pinion makes no noise at all so it does seam that there is the issue. Help please.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Assuming you used the euro blend PS fluid did you flush the system with new pump install? and if you did what did old fluid look like?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3
    Thank you for your response Digger.
    Before I replace the fluid I blew compressed air in to the line to clean the lines. The fluid looked old but no metal shavings. I used CHF 11S.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Air through the lines is not a flush and it does nothing to help you get a written answer that will find your problem.

Raise the front wheels, move the return line from the pump into a small clear soda or water bottle, plug your pump return hole and with the engine not running, slowly turn the steering wheel back and forth from lock to lock. Like bleeding brakes keep your resivour full and keep at this until the fluid coming out is as clean and light green as the new fluid.

The steering rack has valves that open and close when you turn the wheel, if you aren't continuously sucking fluid through the pump and pushing it up the return line when you move the wheels you have found your problem. If your power steering works after you flush you have resolved your problem and if it still doesn't work, you have an air bubble free system in a known condition that with a real problem that people online can help you find.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3
    Thank you for for lightning fast response.
    I will do the procedure as you described and let you know results. What fluid should I use CHF 11S or CHF 202 ?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
    Thank you for for lightning fast response.
    I will do the procedure as you described and let you know results. What fluid should I use CHF 11S or CHF 202 ?
    Good question. 11S and 202 are supposed to be mixable compatibles and it shouldn't matter which you use, but not all manufacturers make perfect matches and I suggest you stick with the 11S. I also suggest Walmart online for a case of 9 small bottles which gives you enough fluid to do the job twice. The price delivered to you door is less than the single can at the local store or having the single can shipped to your door and it is a possibility that you might have to do this job twice if flushing doesn't fix the problem.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3
    I have done flushing as you described and still no power steering. Fluid was moving nicely but did not help. Any other ideas please ?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Now you can check for fluid movement with pump pressure. The car will help you run a couple of simple tests and these are the things you can do without tools. With the car running, in gear and with your foot on the brake, wait for the engine to drop to low idle and give the steering wheel a slight turn in any direction, if you have any fluid pressure the engine should return to normal idle. Or, start with the car on a level surface, engine running, tranny in neutral and no foot on the brakes, put one finger on a wheel spoke and with one finger slowly turn the wheel in whatever direction you prefer first and by feel decide if it turns easier in one direction than is does the other, if it turns much easier in one direction than the other you need a rack.

Deciding on bad pump or rack by feel alone is a judgment call and the substitute for touch and feel experience is measurement equipment. There are some down home and Rube Goldberg ways of measuring this and for that you can go to U-tube, I won't be writing instructions on how build something with what you might have handy.

If you had steady fluid flow while moving the wheel side to side when you flushed, the odds of a collapsed line and a good pump not getting some pressure to the rack are dust thin. The odds of a 16 year old used car that takes euro fluid getting topped off with cheap power steering or tranny fluid are pretty good and so are the odds of needing a rack if your pump is making any kind of pressure.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3
    Digger,I am going to do it tonight. Do you think that I got bad power steering pump. Its a aftermarket though. How to check if pump is good. The single electrical power wire that goes in to the pump has power so it tells me it should work. I know its is hydraulic pump so what is the power wire for? Remember its 2003 Saab 9-3 2.0 turbo.
    thank you much.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Not a power wire. When your car is running and the engine is warm, the engine slows to an irritatingly rough slow idle to save fuel while sitting at stoplights and returns to normal idle when the system senses power demand from things like AC and steering. Use that feature to test for pump pressure. Not going to tell you how to quickly test a pump and spray steering fluid in your face if you find a really good pump. Watch the youtubes on power steering and find a method that you can do.

Probably not a bad steering pump, the odds of a brand new aftermarket or reman pump making zero pressure are virtually zero.