Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero Wagon, 2006 Saab 9-3 SportCombi Aero

CIM Question - 2006 9-3 Saab Aero Sportcombi

I just pulled a used CIM from a junkyard car (no key). I have Tech 2 and I'm working on getting TIS200 set up. (Would greatly appreciate info leading to the crack as all links I've been finding are dead ends). Can I marry the salvage CIM (after divorcing the existing CIM), and get the salvage CIM to accept the existing keys from the divorced CIM? I understand that the existing ECU has the key info stored on it. Will the used CIM allow its code to be overwritten by the existing ECU? I'm new to all this, go easy.
    Thanks for any guidance,
    Bryan

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Hey Bryan,
    The ECU does have key info stored, unfortunately so does your used CIM and you have about a snow balls chance of adding a used CIM without the registered fob to your car. Not that it can't be done, but you need more than a Tech 2 to make your used CIM forget its old fob. Before you start ripping things apart get TIS working and clean up the BUS errors. In geek speak your 06 Saab is hybrid token ring star topography computer network. In simple English the computers can't have a good conversation when one loudmouth won't stop yacking.

Lots of the clone TIS links are gone, or worse yet gone bad, but that doesn't mean that the Saab TIS 2000 you got won't work. If you are only working with the TIS that came with your Tech 2, then you don't have Saab TIS and need to add it. If you installed the new fresh TIS that came with the Tech 2, you need to wipe the drive clean, reload XP with all its drivers and start fresh. Always install an older version before you add newer because newer won't let you add older. I think, but would need to look to be sure that the older Saab Global TIS is still available from the Chinese resellers, but it will be a bear to get working on a computer without a 9 pin serial port. Might be better to get short term subscription to Saab TIS that comes with tech support.

So I took a quick look https://www.car-auto-repair.com/glob...free-download/and these are good instructions and they point you to what you need.
    Last edited by Digger; 24 October 2019 at 13:00. Reason: Update

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Thanks again for the help, Digger. I'm going to wipe the old computer clean and restart the process of getting a usable TIS on there and then proceed accordingly. I'd just like to be able to trust the car to drive it a bit...
    Thanks again!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Wish I could have found instructions like these when I was setting up TIS on my laptop. Toughest job I did on my Saab was get security access so I could reprogram the headlights to work with the switch.

Never did get the darn dongle to work and didn't know it wasn't working until I found that I had forgotten to plug it in when I went to unplug cables from the computer. Would like to give credit where credit is due, but I had purchased a couple of cloned TIS copies, downloaded a couple more, plugged my old data line monitor into the serial cable between the computer and the Tech 2 and did a mix and match of TIS and windows files until I found a combination that worked with my computer.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    That's the way it always works with me as well. . I'll definitely be looking to download these. From what I saw in my very brief overview of the available cracks, is there appears to be a version that can run in Windows versions other than XP. Anyway, I'll definitely look into these.
    I'm hoping i can get everything to function and avoid doing any kind of subscriptions to anything.
    Regarding the dongle I keep hearing everyone talking about....I'm assuming it is the little USB stick that I got along with my CDs that came with my Tech 2 clone?
    Thanks again,
    Bryan

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Nevermind the running under something different than XP. I read the write up. I may try the XP shell. I bought the USB adapter already as I scoured CL for an old laptop with a serial port and couldn't find one.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by bryang View Post
    Nevermind the running under something different than XP. I read the write up. I may try the XP shell. I bought the USB adapter already as I scoured CL for an old laptop with a serial port and couldn't find one.

There are plenty of refurbished laptops on EBay with XP and serial ports. I chose the Dell 630 for my XP laptop, good rugged portable, has 9 pin serial and a PCMCIA slot that will let you read, copy and make new cards for the Tech 2. Best part of this little box is that it will run everything from XP to Win 10. It also has a parallel docking port that is great for desktop use, but worst possible choice for second hand Saab TIS. The disk I purchased when I got my Tech 2 was old enough that it had originally been set up for a parallel printer port dongle and when it found a parallel port it would let me select USB dongle, but not being the full TIS program it wouldn't accept the change.

In hindsight I could have bought any number of used laptops with serial ports that wouldn't have given me this problem to resolve, but I had serviced hundreds of these Dell's back in the day and I knew this box upside down and backwards. Took me a couple of months to find an XP driver no longer available through the Dell website, blend in a couple of files from the new TIS disks that came with my Tech 2 and edit a couple of XP sys32 .dill's.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Thanks for that. I hadn't thought of Ebay for some reason. Kinda didn't want to throw away the money I spent on the Tripp-Lite USB to Serial Port adapter but I suppose it's worth it if it is going to keep me from pulling out the few remaining hairs I have.

So, to be clear, the Dell 630 IS a good choice for this? I got a bit confused when you said, "...great for desktop use, but worst possible choice for second hand Saab TIS." If it's a good choice then I'll hunt one down. On that note, I understand that it's preferable to find one that has Service Pack 3 updates as the latest, correct? The mystery driver that you had to track down, do you know where to find that as well?
    Below is what I was looking at. Look correct?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-D630-Laptop-Windows-XP-Professional-Dual-Core-2Ghz-3GB-160GB-WIFI/254397638391?hash=item3b3b47e6f7:g:R7AAAOSwtwVceL4c
    Thanks again. This is all rocket surgery to me. I can work on air cooled Porsches and VWs all day but I've never had to dive this deep into electronics, even after owning around 10 Audis. Just lucky I guess...

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    If I was starting fresh knowing what I know now, I would have gone IBM or Leveno and if I had done that I wouldn't have a Tech 2 operating with two cards on two separate TIS programs giving me Saab to 2012 and yes I know exactly where that elusive Dell XP driver is. With the expectation that links disappear and everything breaks eventually I made a full set of CD's for restoring the Dell along with sequence loading instructions so that I wouldn't have to figure this all out a second time.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    OK, thanks for the advice. So you think I would be better off seeking out an IBM or Leveno with XP and the 9 pin serial port as well as the
    PCMCIA
    card slot, correct?
    Thanks again,
    Bryan