Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 9-5 Aero Sportcombi

On a quest

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7928/overview/

I posted on the 9-5 forum earlier this week or last week about a 9-5 wagon I found with 192k miles for 2100. I got back the estimate for my total loss on my Honda which was surprisingly almost 7k. The 9-5 is almost 200 miles away from me, and this 9-3 with the 2.8T is really close. What is the consensus on this engine/transmission combo? The wife wants something that "can last" like the Honda did... She's not the one driving it, she has a Volvo XC60 she dailies and never complains when I have to work on it, just the weird noises it makes lol.

I really love the newer body styles of the last 9-5's but they are out of my price range. I also really wanted a wagon but a sedan is just find (my Honda was a Si coupe-with two car seats in the back).

I'm assuming the 2.8 doesn't have the spark plug cassette like the 2.3's? To me the 2.3 is a legendary engine like a Volvo redblock.

Other options are a Jetta Sportwagen. I've never owned a VW or Saab.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Personally I don't think much of this GM V6, but much better option because the 2007 2.0t engine had some valve problems. Might not look like it from the outside but on the inside the tranny is the same as your XC60 without the AWD to worry about. In my part of the country this car would need to be tootsie pie perfect to bring close to the advertised price and if you really want a wagon the Jetta Sportwagen is comparable to the Saab Sportcombi, but having worked on both, the Saab is a better choice.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Thanks for your reply Digger. I watched Auto Autopsy's TurboX videos and his pro's and con's on them. Like he says, no car is perfect and my Volvo is no exception. The VW sportwagon is cool because it's a manual, and another sportwagon I saw is cool because it's a TDI. Other than that, they're kinda basic cars. Not even automatic headlamps.

I did find a 9-5 Aero wagon but it's 192k and that's had to convince the wife that it can or is a "solid" car. I just want something somewhat exciting to drive... I think I will be going to look at the 2.8T tomorrow and go from there. Otherwise, Ill end up with a cheaper Saab one day.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    I have a 2008 9-3 2.0T SS and a 2009 9-3 2.0T XWD. Both bought new. From time to time I look at other Saab models but I have taken care of my 9-3s too well really to buy something else. There are plenty of Saab YouTube sites and online Forums. I suggest you buy what you like, but carefully select your Saab. My 2008 9-3 has had totally different issues than my wife's 2009 XWD. Both 9-3s are at 90,000 miles with no value issues. eSaabParts and a good local Saab Service Center will keep you running indefinitely. If you like and can do the work yourself the online YouTube Saab sites cover all recent and some older models. Good luck. I have stage 1 tunes on both my 9-3s. Keeps me happy.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    I drove the 2.8T the other day. Felt really fun to drive. What spoiled it for me was all the warnings that popped up, the sunroof switch only working one push at a time, the aftermarket stereo that was impossible to use, severe front end shimmy and tie wraps holding up the front splitter. All that for $5911. I walked. 98k miles or not, I just didn't feel it was a good buy.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjollnir81 View Post
    I drove the 2.8T the other day. Felt really fun to drive. What spoiled it for me was all the warnings that popped up, the sunroof switch only working one push at a time, the aftermarket stereo that was impossible to use, severe front end shimmy and tie wraps holding up the front splitter. All that for $5911. I walked. 98k miles or not, I just didn't feel it was a good buy.
    Like I said, in my part of the country that car would need to be tootsie pie perfect to bring close to the advertised price. Couple of years ago you couldn't hardly give a wagon away, today little wagons are hot and the 4 doors are cold turkeys.

Hate to hurt anyone's feelings, but while I was looking for a project truck for the kid, I watched a 110K mile 2007 9-5 2.4 with rough idle, leaking valve cover and a hanging caliper that made the car feel like it had a slipping tranny sell at auction for a ridiculous $250. If it had been a wagon, I would have bid 4 times that to bring it home and I would have found a place to put another car.