Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)

Fiat Chrysler and PCA (Peugeot Citroen) merger proposed

Those two companies are proposing a merger where each company would own about half of the new company. That would join a bunch of brands, including Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Opel, Chrysler, Jeep, Vauxhall, Peugeot, etc.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50246329

Nearly 10 years ago, BMW was considering buying Saab. It never happened. Instead, they agreed to sell Saab the N20 engine, a 1.6 litre 4 cylinder turbo for use in the 9-3SS replacement.

What would have happened if Saab, the car unit, was acquired by BMW? Saab would still be alive. My guess is that there would be sharing of MINI and Saab FWD platforms. That was not to be.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Perhaps Saab could have been sold with Opel to the PSA group if they were still in business at that time. But would the Swedes have gotten along with the French? Probably just as good as with the Americans at GM.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 9-5 Aero Sportcombi
    I hope this brings some French cars back to US soil again. A Pug 505 is on my bucket list. IIRC Saab automobiles (by name) is owned by the Swedish debt department or something like that. If someone wanted to buy Saab they would have to keep it Swedish, not use GM technology. Only way it could work is to rebody a different make car, but make it unique... Ala Saab 9000... If Lancia is still alive and kicking using rebadged Chrysler cars (a shame really), then Saab could and should make a comeback.

Hell, Delorian already did.....

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    It seems pretty unlikely we'll see any mainstream French cars back in the USA again any time soon. Fiat was pretty much a failure in the last 8 years and French cars didn't have the greatest reputation in the USA either.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-fiat-minicars

Gas is still very cheap in the USA and people just want to buy big trucks, SUVs and Crossovers. Small European cars (or any other small car) just don't have much of a chance in the USA anytime soon. I know the European manufacturers are making Crossovers as well but they are also more compact in size. Too bad, I enjoy this diversity on the road and wish they would have a chance here.

I recently rented a Citroen C4 and really liked that car. Not as quirky as Citroens from the past but still different from other cars. Great fuel mileage with the diesel engine as well.